Apparently 2 wrongs DO make a right!

by Terry 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

The Watchtower book Revelation - Its Great Climax is at Hand! (1988) quotes the old Barbour booklet on page 105:

"'It was in B.C. 606, that God's kingdom ended, the diadem was removed, and all the earth given up to the Gentiles. 2520 years from B.C. 606, will end in A.D. 1914.' - The Three Worlds, published in 1877, page 83."

A footnote informs us:

"Providentially, those Bible Students had not realized that there is no zero year between "B.C." and "A.D." Later, when research made it necessary to adjust B.C. 606 to 607 BC, the zero year was also eliminated, so that the prediction held good at "A.D. 1914." - See "The Truth Shall Make You Free," published by the Watch Tower Society in 1943, page 239."

How do you MOVE a year?
    "Providentially" - by God's direction - they had made two errors cancelling each other out!

Apparently 2 wrongs do make a right!

Barbour was, like Russell, very ignorant about chronology and history. When the calendar we use (Julian, later improved to the Gregorian) was created, there was no zero year, so 1 BC was followed by 1 AD. 2520 years from 606BC would give us 1915, which Russell actually used instead of 1914 for a few years. But then World War I started in 1914. Russell had predicted something for 1914, something did indeed happen, so Russell thought he had been right. Russell then 'forgot' about the zero-year, and changed the chronology to 1914 again. (From Tower Watch Ministries)

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Hoo boy, this would be comic except for the part about destroying so many lives with their tomfoolery.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Terry,

Good one!

Here’s another instance of Watchtower lunacy of “two wrongs” making a “right”.

Watchtower – Wrong about Noah and blood at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2012/01/watchtower-wrong-about-noah-and-blood.html

See WRONG and WRONG AGAIN in the above article.

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS also changed the definition of the "superior authorities" in 1929 from secular governments to God and Jesus and then conveniently changed it back in 1962 saying that although it was wrong from 1929 to 1962, it protected them from compromising their neutrality.

*** jv chap. 10 p. 147 Growing in Accurate Knowledge of the Truth ***For many years the Bible Students had taught that “the higher powers” (KJ) were Jehovah God and Jesus Christ. Why? In TheWatchTowers of June 1 and June 15, 1929, a variety of secular laws were cited, and it was shown that what was permitted in one land was forbidden in another. Attention was also drawn to secular laws that required people to do what God prohibited or that forbade what God commanded his servants to do. Because of their earnest desire to show respect for the supreme authority of God, it seemed to the Bible Students that “the higher powers” must be Jehovah God and Jesus Christ. They still obeyed secular laws, but the emphasis was on obedience to God first. That was an important lesson, one that fortified them during the years of world turmoil that followed.

*** w55 6/15 pp. 367-368 Part 12—An Era of Prophesied Happiness Begins ***Timely was the new light of truth on the subject of the “higher powers” published in The Watch Tower for June 1 and June 15, 1929, showing clearly that Jehovah God and Christ Jesus are the true “superior authorities” that must be obeyed. (Rom. 13:1, NW) This new understanding put fire into the witnesses to stand their ground against the onslaught of court battles involving their freedom of worship.

• Scott77
    Scott77

So much for the watchtower flip floping. Sigh.

Scott77

• falseprophet
    falseprophet

When studying the Revelation book (I was a child), I noted that the date was changed from 606 to 607 with no real explanation of why, other than the year zero was "mistakenly" included.

I asked my father about it and he stated that "it just so happened" that they realised their mathematical error and historical error at the same time, so the date didn't need to be changed.

I knew something wasn't adding up in this religion though I couldn't be specific - I was probably less than 10 years old. This was the first piece of evidence I had where it really did seem they were making it all up as they went along.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit