What Things Did You Not Talk About as a JW?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Pretty much any subject I found interesting, was off limits to JWs.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Even an excited conversation re sports had to be qualified with comments like:

" of course we have to keep things in their right place!"

• minimus
    minimus
    Great responses! There were some elders that would only talk about spiritual matters while out in field service.
  • blondie
    blondie

I never talked about any entertainment, tv shows, movies, books, board games, video games, etc. There was always someone with a "tender" conscience that would ruin it for everyone (except those who said nothing).

Oh, I knew elders who talked about the current congregation problems if they were the only ones in the car...details, details, but not that they did anything about it...entertainment for them. Does that qualify as spiritual matters. But if the rank and file were in the car, I never had an elder talk about the bible.

I never talked about other people. If asked, I would say, "If you need to know, why don't you ask them?"

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Fireworks...I loved fireworks as a kid.

But that became a no-no because of that Guy Fawkes character.

When my parents began studying I gleefully showed the JW my collection of fireworks, all ready to be lit on November 5th. He became agitated and told me that I should never touch one because they were satanic.

Great stuff to dump on a 9 year-old...

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Couldn't talk about politics (or have political opinions),

sports,

certain popular books or TV shows,

the pursuit of secular education,

telling off-color jokes,

saying how boring are JW meetings and field service.

Couldn't "elevate" yourself above others by talking about how well you were doing at your job or profession or any skill basically!

Also could certainly never recommend a certain "practice" (which they termed 'self-ABUSE'!!) as a wonderful way to help you sleep or relax...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can add money matters to this list. If you are upfront with your finances, you are probably going to find Brother Hounder finding some way to drain your resources. You have money for your Fenix LD22 flashlight (which could save you in the event of a blackout at the Big Boasting Session if the emergency lighting craps out), you should have put it into the Worldwide Damnation Fund and cut back on work so you could pious-sneer. Or, worse, you have a few ounces of silver (not a monster box or grand bag of 90% silver coins, just two or three eagles and rounds), you are supposed to give them up and deposit the proceeds into the Worldwide Damnation Fund and then cut back on work.

Ditto you get an unexpected lump sum of money. You might get a big bonus at work, or access a dormant account. You open your big mouth, and pretty soon "You didn't have it then, you don't have it now. Throw it away." So much for upgrading things you needed to, or replacing cheap crap with good items, or spending some on fun things, or setting some aside for a rainy day.

And speaking of rainy days, Neptune (the water planet) is about to enter the 9th degree of Pisces and spend significant time in and out of that degree. That is bad for the dollar, and we are just a few short days from the first of these ingresses. Now, which is going to do you more good when the dollar becomes toilet paper, a few dozen rolls of silver quarters or halves, or trusting in joke-hova?

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

There is a sister in my cong that has (or at least had) a tendency to bring up touchy subjects during field service. I know because my wife has told me. When on FS with a group of only women, she would start asking questions like, who do you think is the most handsome at the hall. That was the ice breaker, she would then move on, especially if alone with my wife, and ask if we had oral sex. My wife would tell her we did and did so freely. She then went on to confess that she did but felt terrible about it. That whenever her and her husband fell for the temptation, they did it and then cried out after they were done. She then try to convince my wife that we were doing wrong and told her we really needed to pray about it. My wife did not pay much attention to her and realized that she was a personification of misery looking for company. I feel for them, because no one has a right to make them so miserable.

In our case, we do and talk about anything. While my wife and I disagree on religious matters (we still attend meeting together though), we are open to talk about anything together. We've gambled in Vegas, we've gotten drunk together. Pretty much anything goes. We have a lot of fun together so long we don't discuss the org. Funny how that works, because in actions she is not as hardline as in words.

• zimunzucz
    zimunzucz
    Inquiring minds what to know what kind of doormat Minimus was - back in the day.
  • Powermetal4ever
    Powermetal4ever
    Question is: What things can I not talk about as a JW? ....Well, almost nothing about any of my interests

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit