Did anyone watch Larry King show last night?

by JBean 5 Replies latest jw friends

• JBean
    JBean

Just wanted to know if anyone saw the segment where he was interviewing David Smith (ex-husband of babykiller, Susan Smith, here in the US). It was a great interview, despite the fact that over 5 years after this horrible murder, the dad (David) could barely speak about his 2 small sons. At one point, Larry asked David if he believed in God. David said yes. Then Larry said, "you were a Jehovah's Witness, correct?" David said yes. Larry said, "are you still a Jehovah's Witness?" David said no! : ) Anyhow... that set the stage for a brief discussion of where David felt his son's might be, etc. David said that "...he wasn't raised to believe this, but now he believes that his sons are in a better place and that they are still "with him" in a sense..." That he has to believe that for his own peace. (last part I'm paraphrasing) I just thought that was so interesting. What I gleaned from that is that no matter how hard the Borg tries to make us believe what they say is the ONLY truth... when hardships and tragedies happen to (some) people, they don't get any comfort from the JW teachings. Huh. Anyhow... this guy David is now remarried and has a new daughter... the people who were calling in at the end of the show were so kind and telling him to hang in there and "god bless" him, etc. If anyone saw this, was just wondering if you had any comments. If not... well, then just a good morning to everyone! : )

• mouthy
    mouthy

I got a call to watch it- but I had just missed his confession of being in the Borg..I wonder if his wife was one to.
    If so you can see her thinking- "if they die beffore Armeggeddon they will get a resurection, Very sad.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Maybe Larry would appreciate a copy of the UN threads, or Zev's site?

• writerpen
    writerpen

I think it's so interesting how the BORG says that people should not or do not have a desire to go to heaven since God created us to live on earth. I must admit, having been out for 7 months now, I like the idea of going to heaven. While I still doubt it at times, I would prefer heaven versus eternity here on earth - especially under JW mentality. I used to fear the new system because of the idea of being under JW control forever.

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Dear JBean, thanks for posting that. I flipped channels but missed that part. How interesting! And yet, I thought there was something different about him at the time of the murder. READ: Not allowed to express feelings ie. anger. When you've got the one true faith, you 'know' the dead will live again, why wallow in self-pity? God, I remember this sister had a twin still-birth. People were expecting her to go in service the next day..(that was '84) ...I told a sister, "Have some empathy. That girl should be allowed to feel and express her pain." She called her right up!
    Hope David Smith has been allowed to feel his pain.

• JBean
    JBean

Well... I think that he is now allowing himself to feel and express his pain and anger. By the way he spoke and looked (very close to tears for most of the interview) I believe he may be coming to grips with what happened... not that there will EVER be a sound reason for it. I never got the feeling that he thought his kids would be resurrected!!! Larry King did ask David if he would be able to speak with that Yates woman's husband (I'm sorry but his name escapes me). He said absolutely, he'd be ready to help talk this guy through his feelings given that not many people are in their shoes. Larry did mention that this Yates guy was at the moment sticking by his wife and trying to help. At this point, David kind of flinched and said something like, "...well, that's his choice, I didn't do that and don't understand it, but I'd never stop anyone from doing what they felt they had to do...but I'll still speak with him." He also said that it sickened him to think his ex-wife (Susan) would be eligible for parole in 2023 or something like that... and she'll only be in her early 50's. You couldn't help but want to reach out and talk to this guy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit