What parts of the Reasoning book would be considered "old light"

by puffthedragon 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

Old light, dim light, apostacy, whatever you want to call it.

I recently had a JW try to "talk some sense into me" using the reasoning book. I basically blew them off, but I started thinking about it, I don't have one handy, but I think it came out in the 80's. So I know the generation thing has changed several times since then, what else in it is outdated? Anyone keeping a running tab?

Thanks in advance.

• blondie
    blondie

*** rs p. 47 - p. 48 Armageddon ***

What will happen to young children at Armageddon?

The Bible does not directly answer that question, and we are not the judges. However, the Bible does show that God views the young children of true Christians as “holy.” (1 Cor. 7:14) It also reveals that in times past when God destroyed the wicked he likewise destroyed their little ones. (Num. 16:27, 32; Ezek. 9:6) God does not want anyone to be destroyed, so he is having a warning sounded now to benefit both parents and children. Would it not be wise for parents to pursue a course that would result in their children being looked on with favor by God both now and at Armageddon?

http://jwfacts.com/watchtower/salvation-only-for-jehovahs-witnesses.php

REALLY!!!

*** rs p. 239 Last Days ***

To

whatdoalltheseeventsof“thelastdays”point?

Luke 21:31, 32: “When you see these things occurring, know that the kingdom of God is near [that is, the time when it will destroy the present wicked world and itself take full charge of earth’s affairs]. Truly I say to you, This generation will by no means pass away until all things occur.” (The “generation” that was alive at the beginning of fulfillment of the sign in 1914 is now well along in years. The time remaining must be very short. World conditions give every indication that this is the case.)

*** rs p. 97 pars. 2-3 Dates ***

As shown under the heading “Last Days,” those events have been clearly in evidence since 1914. Before the last members of the generation that was alive in 1914 will have passed off the scene, all the things foretold will occur, including the “great tribulation” in which the present wicked world will end.—Matt. 24:21, 22, 34.

Whenwill the end of this wicked world come?

Jesus answered: “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.” However, he also stated: “Truly I say to you that this generation [that was alive when “the sign” of “the last days” began its fulfillment] will by no means pass away until all these things occur.”—Matt. 24:36, 34.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There was a part about cataracts that was revised because there was an issue about a procedure not being allowed or something. We noticed it one day when we read it at the meeting for field service because it said different things depending on the date of your book.

• blondie
    blondie

SBF, was that because of the flipflopping organ transplant doctrine.

*** w61 8/1 p. 480 Questions From Readers ***s

? Is there anything in the Bible against giving one’s eyes (after death) to be transplanted to some living person?—L. C., United States.

The question of placing one’s body or parts of one’s body at the disposal of men of science or doctors at one’s death for purposes of scientific experimentation or replacement in others is frowned upon by certain religious bodies. However, it does not seem that any Scriptural principle or law is involved. It therefore is something that each individual must decide for himself. If he is satisfied in his own mind and conscience that this is a proper thing to do, then he can make such provision, and no one else should criticize him for doing so. On the other hand, no one should be criticized for refusing to enter into any such agreement.

----------------This changed in 1967-------------then back to the 1961 policy in 1980

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The reasoning book prohibits all blood, including fractions. It also says that apostolic succession is "not a Biblical teaching". This makes their claim of the governing body being related to the apostles and older men in Acts to be a questionable proposition. I would be inclined to nail them on that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit