Sparlock is Sator

by Borges 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Borges
    Borges

In the german edition of the new DVD Sparlock is called Sator. I'm sorry about this, because Sparlock sounds much better and meanwhile it is a powerfull meme (and I was thinking about antending one of the DC here with a sparlock-shirt). You see the typical german lack of imagination. They choose a name that is quite similar to Satan. So even the totaly dumb will get it.

Seeing the original in english made me sick. But hearing all that BS in my own language almost made me vomit.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Who is Caleb?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Kaleb according to google translate, but then, it also says Spurlock

oz

• Borges
    Borges

Who is Caleb?

Caleb is called Phillip.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Thanks, Borges

• cedars
    cedars

Yes, I posted a while back that the name "Sparlock" has been changed in different language editions. I'm glad this has finally been independently confirmed.

Cedars

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Sator Square is a four-times palindrome, and some people have attributed magical properties to it, considering it one of the broadest magical formulas in the occident. An article on the square from The Saint Louis Medical and Surgical Journal vol. 76, reports that palindromes were viewed as being immune to tampering by the devil, who would become confused by the repetition of the letters, and hence their popularity in magical use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sator_Square

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Leo says:

The Sator Square is a four-times palindrome, and some people have attributed magical properties to it, considering it one of the broadest magical formulas in the occident. An article on the square from The Saint Louis Medical and Surgical Journal vol. 76, reports that palindromes were viewed as being immune to tampering by the devil, who would become confused by the repetition of the letters, and hence their popularity in magical use.

Hence conclusively proving that medicine and surgery are derived from experimenting with magical practices, and thus should be avoided at all costs.

(Remember, when one's spiritual health and well-being is on the line, it's better to be safe than sorry.)

Getting serious: medicine has just as many (if not MORE) roots in pagan practices as Christmas does (and the distinction between religious belief and medicine were non-existent in the past), but you don't see JWs refusing medicine, due to it's pagan roots and use of symbols of idolatry (e.g. the cadeuceus, the serpent, long associated with healing and regeneration), do you?

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I find this info on the Sator square fascinating.

Leo, there's an anomaly in that you say it is magical, and yet it was, according to the iki page, widely used by Christians. So, did those Christians consciously use magic?

And, given this German usage of the name for a character apparently considered potentially dangerous or devilish, how can we reconcile that early Christian usage with the Watchtower's fear of magic?

In fact, come to think of it, why do the WT fear magic so much since they see Jehovah as all-powerful?

Something isn't adding up.

• Borges
    Borges

Thanks for the info Leolaia!

I've checked the german wikipedia. It says about Sator, that in christian interpretation Sator is understood as the Creator God.

Sator - latin for: The Sower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit