D/A Summer 2012 "What Is Really Meant "It's Better To Give Than To Receive"?? Acts 20:35

by Bubblegum Apotheosis 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

The Organization's take on Jesus Words goes against most early Christian literature. The gift that Jesus is talking about, that make's the giver happy, is preaching the Good News. Receiving is hearing the message of the Good News! So I am thinking-

Why does one early source say this about Jesus? "I became weak for the sake of the weak." There must be more to this scripture than the Good News, I know that is the most valuable aspect of the Christian. Yet, other teachers taught, word's without works are dead! What good is talking to a naked brother, hungry sister when you have means to help her? Remember Christ's words of happiness and giving!

New International Version (©1984)
    In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

New Living Translation (©2007)
    And I have been a constant example of how you can help those in need by working hard. You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

English Standard Version (©2001)
    In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    "In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

International Standard Version (©2008)
    In every way I showed you that by working hard like this we should help the weak and remember the words that the Lord Jesus himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
    "And I have shown you everything, that thus it is necessary to labor and to take care of those who are weak and to remember the words of our Lord Yeshua, who said, 'He who gives is more blessed than he who receives.'"

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
    I have given you an example that by working hard like this we should help the weak. We should remember the words that the Lord Jesus said, 'Giving gifts is more satisfying than receiving them.'"

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
    I have showed you all things, how that so laboring you ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

American King James Version
    I have showed you all things, how that so laboring you ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

American Standard Version
    In all things I gave you an example, that so laboring ye ought to help the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that he himself said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring you ought to support the weak, and to remember the word of the Lord Jesus, how he said: It is a more blessed thing to give, rather than to receive.

Darby Bible Translation
    I have shewed you all things, that thus labouring we ought to come in aid of the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that he himself said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

English Revised Version
    In all things I gave you an example, how that so labouring ye ought to help the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Webster's Bible Translation
    I have shown you all things, that so laboring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Bubblegum:

The specific context for the saying in verse 35 goes back to verse 33, or even verse 31. The phrase, "so laboring" or "thus laboring" requires looking back in the context to see what "so laboring" refers to. But the context also includes who Paul was talking to. This can be seen in verse 17.

Several commentaries I have basically point out the same thing: Paul was counseling the Ephesian older men/elders (presbyters) against greed, avarice, or using their position within the congregation for profit making. Paul set an example of this in several places. (Corinth: Acts 18:2f; 1 Cor 4:12; 9:12, 15; 2 Cor 11:7; 12:13; Thessalonica: 1 Thes 2:9; 2 Thes 3:7, 8; etc.)

A footnote says: "It is striking that this logion is not included among Jesus' sayings in the four Gospels. It has rather extensive parallels in Greek literature (cf. Plutarch, Moralia 2:173d, 778c; Thucydides, 2.97.4; Seneca, Epistles 81.17) The thought is also found in the Jewish tradition (cf. Sirach 4:31). It seems to be a question of a proverbial statement. Similar thought is found in the gospel tradition, and the emphasis on giving is found frequently in the sayings of Jesus (cf. Luke 6:30, 38; 11:41; 12:33; 18:22).

Take Care

Edited to add: The context would make it more directly applicable to elders, COs, DOs, and the Society, rather than the R&F.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

As with all things, they use it to insinuate that everyone should do more in field circus. "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." Therefore, we need to do more in field circus. That is their line of reasoning, and can be applied with every single sentence of the LIE-ble.

All I know is that I apply it much better to Christmas. When you are a small child, receiving is very important and can often make the holiday that much merrier. And that is whether it is the physical gift or just watching the Christmas tree going up. But, once you grow up, you can learn to give--and giving again doesn't always mean physical gifts. You are giving just by helping put up the tree, or even adding your expertise to the decorations. Done properly, celebrating Christmas can be a very spiritual experience even if you don't believe in, or honor, Jesus. Field circus, well that's another matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit