Local cult exiting groups - a wish

by cog_survivor 7 Replies latest jw friends

• cog_survivor
    cog_survivor

Reading some of the exit/fader stories my heart breaks.

I wish there were some kind of local support groups for people who want help in leaving behind their cult lives. Living in the heart of the midwest, there really isn't anyone to turn to. I would have loved to meet with others in a safe enviroment to work through some of the issues.

All the implanted fears make people scared to turn to other religious organizations. Even government organizations are scary to many exiters. Most seem to struggle to rebuild a support network outside their previous "church" one. Others rely on non-believing family members.

Does anyone else wish for this? What do you think it would take to reach out to people to assist them in rebuilding their lives?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Call 1- 800 -Why- 1914 Marylin might know of a group near you

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

The problem is that there aren't enough ex members of individual cults in an area to make it feasible. Ex Mormons, JWs, brethren and WCOG need to start working together more.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

See if there are any Meet Up groups for exJWs in your area. They're usually social groups but at least they'll be people who can relate to what you've gone through.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

I've wished for it too.

The first year I was out, a new 'friend' (not ex cult) was a good listener and introduced me to new experiences. (Sadly I was naive and mistook her character, and we are no longer 'friends'.) It was like being a teenager in a way. So it was pretty raw the first year out, my eyes were becoming wide open to everything. Then in early 2010, a year after my leaving, I stumbled upon JWN an was blown away. Began reading Crisis of Conscience and Combatting Cult Mind Control...it was like therapy. Also read other various books about self-help and spirituality, pagans.... those alone helped me feel connected to others.

But, nothing replaces human contact. And, that in my experience is more difficult to have...to relate to others on a deeper level, especially regarding leaving a life of cultdom. I looked for meet-up groups, found nothing specific to this really. And my self am not much of an organizer of groups, to start one. When I had facebook, I connected with a few random people from my past who have also left. That has been really helpful. But still, much of the healing and growing is done all alone. That's my experience.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

I want to meet new people too!

• blondie
    blondie

You might try MeetUp groups under ex-jws.

http://exjw.meetup.com/

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

Thanks, but nothing in my area, mostly in BIG metro Cities

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit