Bathroom Designs to avoid Mold?

by Iamallcool 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

In my home, bleach has been applied on the upper part painted sheetrock wall in the bathroom shower area because of mold 3 times in 4 years. Actually I am tired of it. I always run the exhaust fan everytime I take a shower. I feel the fan is still working.(I am deaf, but I can feel it on the ceiling). My shower stall has wall to wall around the shower except the door to the shower. I feel that is the problem since it does not exactly ventilate that good. Have you ever had problems with it and you finally know how to avoid mold? Part of me wants to move out. For now, I am going to stay put. If I move out of here, what shower designs do you recommend so I can avoid that shitty problem in the future. I prefer a larger shower area. I am open to variety of ideas. Thank you!

• hubert
    hubert

Is the shower stall open at the top?

Do you run your hot water too hot when taking a (steam bath) shower?

Is your vent clean? Dust builds up in the vent, and needs to be removed and cleaned occassionally. It could be running, but not sucking up enough of the steam.

When I bought the house I live in now, it had glass doors as well. I found that mold would build up faster in this type of stall. So, I removed the glass doors and put in a shower curtain instead.. The curtain is lower than the glass doors were, but not too low as to cause water from the shower head to spray over and onto the floor of the bathroom. And yes, you do have to wash the shower curtain from time to time, or remove and replace it.

Actually, getting mold 3 times in four years is not that frequent in my opinion. Get a good "tile and grout" cleaner, and spray it on, let it set, rinse it off. That should help.

Note: If you decide to use a shower curtain, make sure the bottom of the curtain is INSIDE the tub. You can also get a double curtain, and you can let the outer curtain hang outside the tub.

Hubert

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Fit an extraction fan that is humidity sensitive, it will run till the damp has gone.

• trebor
    trebor

Bleach or/and isopropyl alcohol away mold (As best as possible).

Apply 2-3 coats of this over the entire bathroom (Non-tiled) ceiling and walls:

http://www.amazon.com/Zinsser-William-Perma-White-Mildew-Proof-Interior/dp/B000LNYBOW/ (Eggshell)

or

http://www.amazon.com/Zinsser-Perma-White-Interior-Perma-Wh-647-2761/dp/B0002YWZUM/ (Semi-Gloss)

(5 years protection with both. More expensive, but semi-gloss would probably be best for bathroom - the price of semi-gloss is for 2 not 1)

Then paint over (if desired) with whatever color(s).

• Haulin Oats
    Haulin Oats

Several things:

Your fan may be under-rated for the space of your bathroom. Also, it needs to be able to draw fresh air from the hallway/door to replace the steamy air. If you have ceramic tile getting mold on it, you might have to re-seal the grout. Mold can only grow if there is water hitting wood or sheetrock (at least in a bathroom). Make sure you leave the shower door open after using it to let it air out.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

http://www.amazon.com/Zinsser-Perma-White-Interior-Perma-Wh-647-2761/dp/B0002YWZUM/ (Semi-Gloss)

This product is what I would recommend being a professional Painting Contractor.

This by the way this is a final top coat and doesn't need to be top coated with another paint product.

I would also investigate the fan in the bathroom to see if its functioning properly, fans that are clogged up with lint and dirt

are less efficient.

You should also remember to leave the door to the bathroom open and if there's a window in the bathroom to leave it open as well.

• finally awake
    finally awake

There is a company called National Allergy Supply that sells a mold inhibitor spray. It isn't bleach, and it's supposed to keep working for an extended time period. If you own the house and are thinking about a full on bathroom remodel, I'd suggest tearing the entire room out down to the studs and subfloor. Then lay ceramic tile on the floor and tile the walls up to at least the 6 foot level around the shower and 4 feet in the rest of the room. Be sure to seal the grout carefully and caulk all the joints between the fixtures and the tile with mold proof caulk. Replace the bathroom vent fan with a stronger model, and make sure it's actually vented all the way through the roof. We did this in our bathroom and we haven't had any mold issues at all. SInce my tile is all white, it is easy to spot any tiny bit of mold.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Make sure your bath fan is adequate and the ductwork is clean/clear.

Use a paint on the walls with mold inhibitor.

Get rid of the carpet (holds spores)

Use a cleaning product like this

Make sure the crawl space under your house has an adequate vapor barrier. (prevent moisture from entering living space)

Make sure your attic is well ventilated. (keeps attic dry and helps rid residual moisture that may enter from the living space)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit