untitled

by Band on the Run 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I'm Anglican now. Overall, I love it but sometimes I want a rule/doctrine. The Witnesses were always so empahtic that Bethel leaders knew all, down to what type of pots to use. When I ask questions, now (unthinkable before), I'm told they wonder about it, too.

We are not a community of answers. We are a community of people asking the same questions in a communal matter.

It would be interesting to hear how you went from Point A to Point B.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Band, i dont know if you have ever seen shawshank redemption but in it they explain the concept of being "institutionlized" (sorry for spelling)

In short, prisioners start off hating the walls and rules of a prision but after a number years come to depend on them and need them. Sort of like being in a cult.

You have to learn or relearn to love FREEDOM. To know your own will. As Andy Duphrain said, "get busy living or get busy die'n"

• cog_survivor
    cog_survivor

Hi Band,

I'm ex worldwide church of God. I went to being Episcopalian. I deliberately chose them because of their liberal/open attitude. I wanted someplace that might accept someone with a few quirks to work out and let them do it on their one terms.

It was so shocking to walk into an atmosphere of loving mutual respect. I found that it really made me nervous because even though it was right, it wasn't what I was used to. I decided that it was like an act of faith to trust God to deal with people as individuals rather than corporately. The interesting thing is that it is helping mellow the judgemental attitudes that I learned while in the cult.

How I got there. When I decided I was on my way out of worldwide, I started attending different churches with a friend who was also seeking. Testing the waters so to speak. I also got a book that compared different churches and their beliefs. I knew what I wanted so I marked off all the ones that didn't meet my basic criteria. I really liked visiting the Methodist churches in my area for the most part. Of course different congregations had their different atmospheres (even within the same denomination).

When I moved to the town I'm in now, I hadn't tried the Episcopal church yet. So I did. I loved how people behaved. I really liked the emphasis on worship over teaching (gotta love a 10 minute sermon when you are used to hour and half talks). I've been slowly immersing my self in the culture since.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Point A was a complete far cup. Point B? Is there a point B? I'll have fun on my jouney and if I find point B, I'll let you know, but I doubt I'll stop there.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I've been to a couple different churches and I too was amazed at how different they are from being a JW. I wouldn't say for the better yet, I can't really make a true comparison only attending once of the two different faiths. To tell you the truth, I can't even remember what denomination they were now. That's how little of an impact they made on me.

I did like the openness and more casual attire. The sermons were a lot shorter too, I thought, that's it? lol! As far as singing, one had a big screen with the words projected up on it, it was pretty nifty.

Now I don't believe in the bible. I believe in a creator, whatever that may be, I believe we were meant to use our power of thinking and intelligence to reason out the universe for ourselves and grow. Not to be locked into a silly faith for 3 thousand years.

I guess I've become one that seeks truth, no matter from what source it comes from now. Maybe I'm a pagan now? I've enjoyed reading up on Hermeticism and occult philosophy. To me those things have been more "aha ha" moments.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I guess I'm a Theosophist. Yes, I just looked it up... lol

That's how new I am to learning my current beliefs and building them...

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

Band,

I am not anyhting at the moment, haven't gotten past just getting out. MAybe as I gracefully age inot my 60's I will see the need. But right now, I think doing good deeds, enjoying my life, (golfing and running ) helping my family when I am able and planning for the years ahead are my formost needs for worship. Really wish I had enthusiam for the location of a worship place, but I dont. Do you think that will change soon?

My Shrink says it's too early ! LOL

Have a great summer!

DG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit