new article on jw loss in courts

by orbison 6 Replies latest jw friends

• orbison
    orbison

Jehovah's Witness lose bid for intervenor status
    VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980)-- The B.C. Court of Appeal has denied intervenor status to the Jehovah's Witness faith, in a case involving a woman who died after refusing a blood transfusion.

The judge has ruled there would be no benefit to allowing the religious community to make submissions.

Two doctors named in a medical negligence lawsuit are trying to have the case thrown out of court, based on a pre-surgery release form Daphne Hobbs signed, refusing permission for blood transfusions on religious grounds.

She died from massive bleeding following a hysterectomy at Chilliwack General Hospital six years ago.

The woman's husband and children are suing, claiming it was negligence by the doctors that led to her need for the blood.

• waiting
    waiting

ok, I'll bite.

The jw lawyers want in the case to defend the doctors......for PR purposes so that the doctors don't come in and say the "jw's made us do it."

LOL - apparently I know more two sylable words than most! What is the meaning of what the jw's want to do? In common English...duh.

waiting

• mommy
    mommy

Orbison
    Great to see ya honey! LOL I am with Waiting on this one...what is the deal? The JW laywers want in, but court own't let them? Me no understand Maybe I just read it too fast? Got a link for the article?
    wendy

• orbison
    orbison

wendy
    no sorry just pulled from local news here, is all, although chilliwack is about 1 hr from vancouver, bc, and i live in chilliwack, just newsy is all:)

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

that reminds me of the best post I have ever read from anewperson. it was about what constitutes 'informed consent'. In my opinion THIS is informed consent from a JW; these are the quaestions a doctor should be asking.

1) Can you tell me the Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek words for blood and bloodguilt?

2) When did the Watchtower first ban blood transfusions?

3)When did sanctions begin against Jehovah's Witnesses for medical acceptance of blood?

4) What blood products are banned by the Watchtower, which are acceptable, and what is the rational for this?

5)What will be the reaction of Jehovah's Witnesses/Watchtower if you accept blood and they find out about it? How will you be treated if you refuse blood?

If the Jehovah's Witness cannot answer these questions when the doctor asks them, then any consent is not INFORMED. Mouthing off a bunch of memorized scriptures is NOT informed consent. I also feel that in this case no one but the physician him/her self should go through this with the patient; this duty should not be pawned off on a nurse or administrater.

People are dying because docotors don't want to take 30 minutes to educate themselves, nor take another thirty minutes to talk to their patient and ask them questions. Because I guarantee you, once a JW finds out the Watchtower history on 'blood, medicine and the lawlessness of god', I think you will find more of them will consent to blood.

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

and mommy...I LOVE that pic!!!! You beat Demi Moore any day!!!

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• Xander
    Xander

these are the quaestions a doctor should be asking.

[Mr. Peabody voice]
    Well Sherman, stepping into the not-so-wayback-machine, we arrive at my youth.

Here, at a local Kingdom Hall, we see the tale retold of a young girl who had a blood transfusion forced upon her by the court. Why you ask? A good question, my boy, for the reason is simple. The judge asked her to recite not 1, but the first FIVE books of the bible in order, and she could not.

Yes, and for THAT reason, my mother decided to make my brother and I memorize every book of the bible in the correct order such that we'd be able to pass this 'test' if it came upon us.

Now, applying this to todays...
    [/Mr. Peabody Voice]

Christ, do you really want another generation of kids being forced to memorize those questions?!? That's all that'll happen, you know. The society learns of new attacks, and makes up new scare-tales for the youngins.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit