Cyberstalking

by Valentine 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Valentine
    Valentine

Cyberstalking behavior is defined as one or more of a constellation of behaviors directed toward a specific individual/s which is experienced as intrusive and unwanted.

WHile the legal definition varies from state to state they all contain 3 elements.
    1. A pattern/course of conduct of behavioral intrusion.Attempts to breach their privacy.
    2.Implicit or explicit threats(you insulted me once so now Im gonna dog you forever)
    3.The willful malicious and repeated following and harrassing(come out and play)which means I want to fight w/ you.

The Internet can be used for 2 criminal functions:
    To gather private info on the target to further pursue her
    To communicate and manipulate others to induce intimidation and distress(lobby to get one thrown off the board)

There are certain emotions and desires endemic to cyberstalkers-anger jealousy envy control and low self-esteem.So they attempt to devalue intimidate and injure their target.
    it is a form of violence.
    Preadatory violence is planned purposeful,and designed to devalue the target.
    This is considered a pathological form of narcissism.
    It takes only a few posts to see the stalking or 'dogging' of a poster.

These cyberstalkers usually have an Axis I disorder,mood or substance abuse(a little vino eh?) On the Axis II cluster B one usually finds narcissistic personality disorder or dependent DP

regardless of the typology,the fundamental aspect is their observable behavior. And in this case their 'covert' machinations.

Todays Affirmation:
    The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is working.

• hippikon
    hippikon
    To gather private info on the target to further pursue

So if the Watchtower is monitoring the board they are stalking! - am I right?

"God was evolutions biggest mistake"
    Hippikon
  • nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

i have 2 stalkers on this board myself..can u name them?

• Valentine
    Valentine

Hi Hippi,gotta hurry up here before im deactivated,.
    I meant this on a more personal level,but yes,I guess the same applies to them as well.Take care,T

Todays Affirmation:
    The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is working.

• Celtic
    Celtic

F alse
    E evidence
    A ppearing
    R eal

= FEAR

The key word here being evidence. Does the cyber stalker know how their so called behaviour might be construed in this manner? On the part of the recipient, do any of your above 'disorders' reflect paranoia on the part of the one believing that they are being stalked?

We live in a society where listening in has become the norm anyway, just look at the amount of surveilance business going on out there, among which countries the USA, UK and Israel, amongst others take the lead.

How do you back up such a claim, better to make sure of the above? If you think you are being cyber stalked for definite, keep a written record of all the so called intrusions making such that you pay attention to the detail.

In a modern technological society, cyber stalking is bound to happen, whether right or wrong, it will only go on, it is human nature to be inquisitive as to matters pertaining to another, to spy, to gain information over another. A lot more thoughts on this, but too busy right now to post a lot about the subject.

Peace

Celtic

• butalbee
    butalbee

Lots of CRAZY people on the internet...Not naming any names...or alter egos...not saying the T word, but thinking....

• sf
    sf

< http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminology/cyberstalking/index.html

Cyber-Stalking:
    Obsessional Pursuit and the Digital Criminal

by Wayne Petherick
    Introduction
    Though the legal recognition of stalking is a recent evolution, the behaviour that is involved is by no means a product of the 20th century. It is known though that criminal behaviour is incredibly adaptive to new technologies, with credit card, mobile phone and computer fraud as examples. It is also acknowledged that stalking has now taken an on-line form, colloquially referred to as cyber-stalking.

As the personal computer and the Internet bring the world into our homes, they provide access to a vast amount of information, and provide forums for individuals from all over the world to meet one another in a relatively anonymous environment. One example of these forums is the chat room where people from hundreds of countries may gather and meet, trade information and files, and chat about a range of topics from music to sex. Though this has bred a large number of international relationships, most of which prove harmless, it does present the possibility that ones on-line personality may become the target of unwanted attention.

Cyberstalking, which is simply an extension of the physical form of stalking, is where the electronic mediums such as the Internet are used to pursue, harass or contact another in an unsolicited fashion. Most often, given the vast distances that the Internet spans, this behaviour will never manifest itself in the physical sense but this does not mean that the pursuit is any less distressing. There are a wide variety of means by which individuals may seek out and harass individuals even though they may not share the same geographic borders, and this may present a range of physical, emotional, and psychological consequences to the victim.

It is the purpose of this paper to examine the wider phenomenon of stalking and to cover issues relating to legal and behavioural classifications, and to examine the incidence and prevalence of stalking. Some of the measures that may be employed by individuals in protecting their on-line identity will also be addressed.

< http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminology/cyberstalking/3.htm

Stalking Typologies and Pathologies
    According to forensic scientist and criminal profiler, Brent Turvey (1998), most typologies fail to take into account the motivational dynamics between offenders. These dynamics vary in range with stalking, and differ in a number of ways. For this reason, typologies are best employed to provide investigators with an initial picture of the offender, and are not intended to be used as definitive proof of an offender's characteristics. Common distinctions within the typologies include those with a prior relationship with the victim, those without a prior relationship, and those motivated by a disorder referred to as erotomania.

Zona, Pallarea & Lane (1998) believe that stalking occurs when an individual's behaviour is related to a cognition (a thought). To possess the cognition is not enough, as it must be related to a behaviour to fulfil legal requirements. Many statutes require that there must be conduct to be prohibited.

Vernon Geberth, a retired homicide commander and author of Practical Homicide Investigation (1996) provides two broad categories of stalkers. These are Psychopathic Personality Stalkers and Psychotic Personality Stalkers. The following table outlines some of the characteristics of each:

This next portion is a chart that will not paste as seen on the url, please view it for context):

Psychopathic Personality Stalker Psychotic Personality Stalker
    Generally male May be male or female
    Absence of mental disorder Delusions or delusional fixation
    Targets familiar victims Usually targets strangers
    Harassment may be anonymous Attempt to contact the victim
    Usually some precipitating stressor Absence of precipitating stressor

This is a somewhat general and broad classification system on which to examine stalking. The latter category usually implies the presence of some mental disorder, and the individual may not or may not be aware of his actions.

Zona, Pallarea & Lane (1998) and Zona, Sharma & Lane (1993) provide a more comprehensive interpersonal typology based on the relationship between the victim and offender. In studies with the Los Angeles Police Department’s Threat Management Unit, Zona and colleagues (1993; 1998) initially categorised stalkers according to three basic categories. The later discovery of a fourth covered those instances where the individual claims that someone is stalking them in order to assume the role of the victim. The results of the above studies indicate the following classifications:

Simple Obsessional: These cases typically involve a victim and a perpetrator who have a prior relationship. This group comprises the largest of the categories (47 percent (Geberth, 1992)), and also poses most threat to the victim. The motivation behind this may be coercion to re-enter a relationship, or revenge aimed at making the life of the former intimate uncomfortable through the inducement of fear.

Love Obsessional: Most likely involving no prior relationship. The victims may become known through the media, or perhaps through the Internet. Love obsessional stalkers comprise the second largest group of approximately 43% (Geberth, 1992). A large number of these individuals may be suffering from a mental disorder such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. The most common type is the individual who pursues a celebrity, which may be more familiar as the "obsessed fan syndrome".

Erotomanic: These cases differ from Love Obsessional in that they possess the delusion that the target of the behaviour is in love with them (lowest incidence in the Zona and Threat Management Unit study (Geberth, 1992). Research would indicate that perpetrators are more likely to be female, with the majority of victims being older males of higher social status. Further broken into two categories of primary (or pure) erotomania where no other significant disorders are present, and secondary erotomania where the disorder is the result of another significant, dominant pathology.

False Victimisation Syndrome: This group accuses another person, either real or imaginary of stalking (Hickey, 1997) to foster sympathy and support from those around them. The majority of the perpetrators seem to be female (adapted from Zona and others; Mullen and Pathe, 1994; Mullen, 1997).

In erotomanic stalking, the “central theme of an erotic delusion is that one is loved by another” (American Psychiatric Association, 1994: p. 297). It would seem that erotomania occupies the dominant position within the psychological and psychiatric literature, even though this disorder appears to occur within the minority of cases, as will be discussed. Meloy (1998) states that “stalking research was born from the psychiatric study of erotomania and the psychological study of sexual harassment” (p. 79), which could possibly explain why this literature still dominates. A typology similar to that of Zona and colleagues has been developed by Wright, Burgess, Laszlo, McCrary & Douglas (1996), a group that includes several retired FBI officers. In the development of their system, they studied 30 case reviews and based their assessment on many variables including delusions, motive, outcome, and risk level of the victim. Their results would indicate two broad divisions: Non-Domestic Stalkers (with the subtypes of Organised and Delusional) and the Domestic Stalker. This system closely resembles that devised by Zona and colleagues in their categories of Love Obsessional, Erotomanic, and Simple Obsessional respectively.

It would appear that stalking may be a result of other clinical problems, and Burt, Sulkowicz & Wolfrage (1997) present the case of a 23-year-old single female with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder who began obsessively pursuing a male friend on the Internet as a result of the disorder. The following exert outlines the pursuit:

“She had been spending approximately 8 hours per day monitoring his communication with another woman and was unable to control her compulsions, despite recognising this behaviour as abnormal…She found that he logged on at the same hour every day, and assumed he was having a scheduled appointment with an on-line partner…Discovering that this was a woman increased her anxiety, yet the act of monitoring reduced her symptoms…The patient then proceeded to find out other information about the woman, secured the phone numbers of her parents and called them in disguise” (p. 172).

It should be noted that this is only one case, and caution should be employed before any generalisations are made. The above case does, however, provide an interesting possibility as to the emergence of stalking behaviour in this particular individual.

It is important to note that stalking, exactly like any other crime, behaviour, or clinical disorder exists on a continuum of severity. The stalking may be so subtle that the victim may not even know that it is happening, or the perpetrator may have a genuine belief that “if they would just get to know me, they would like me”, with no malicious intent desired. Many cases of stalking do not even rise to extreme levels of violence or harassment (Meloy, 1998). The severity of any act must be assessed on an individual basis, and a careful assessment made as to the likelihood that any activity would pass beyond a non-criminal threshold.

sKally

• D8TA
    D8TA

"To gather private info on the target to further pursue HER"

Ummm...yah. Is this saying that the victim can't be a HIM?

Ever have a woman stalk a man?
    A man stalk a man?

Nice conditioning. Men can't be victims when it comes to:

Stalking
    Sexual Harrassment
    Domestic Violence
    Sexual Assault
    Rape
    Emotional abuse
    Blackmail
    Bullying

No of course men can't. Gotta condition the populace that MEN are be held accountable for these actions against WOMEN. Silly me, how could I even THINK a man could stalk myself (I'm a guy.) Or a WOMAN sexually harrass me.

And before we start this "statistics" shiet, lemme just put for the record that more men are raped then women yearly in the U.S. Ooooh, sure the majority of the male rape victims are in prisons...but you have to acknowledge that every car thief should have their pooper stuffed. Or that dad who didn't keep up with his child support payments. (sarcasm implied with these following sentences).

Problem is, I think we should stop this male or female, this race or that race is a victim only crap. Anyone can be a victim to a heinous act, and the perp should suffer high penalties for it. This labeling conditioning needs to end. It's only purpose is to exclude and prompt speacial treatment.

D8TA

~ A day no season would claim ~

• LDH
    LDH
    i have 2 stalkers on this board myself..can u name them?

1. NYTelecom1
    2. ????

I couldn't come up with your other alias.....sorry!

Lisa
    Not ashamed of her parents Class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit