Hooah to Maryland Defense Force

by NCO 0 Replies latest jw friends

• NCO
    NCO

I'm sure there's some from Maryland here. In the aftermath of the recent derecho or whatever they call it when power was out for days, the Maryland Defense Force put boots on the ground and deployed to provide support to those affected.

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/the-maryland-defense-force-delivers-water-and-food-to-people-without-power#ixzz1zz3akn1c

I serve in Georgia State Defense Force and we've deployed after tornadoes hit Georgia in 2011. My cap is off to my brothers and sisters in MDF for their hard work without pay.

When a disaster strikes, that's when you learn how overwhelmed your state's EMA really is and how the local law enforcement can be stretched so thin. It falls to the people to volunteer and keep their community together. Your state's National Guard may not even be called out at all. They weren't in Georgia, it was GSDF who deployed in Lamar County, working around the clock clearing debris, cordoning off disaster areas, sending patrols to supply isolated homes cut off from aid, even deploying full medical units.

We put close to 200 troops on the ground, sleeping in a gymnasium, working 6 hours on/6 hours off shifts (which meant maybe 3 hours sleep at a time if at all), and fed by either MRE's or the Red Cross and church groups.

If you want to help your community, there's no better way than to volunteer and begin training now. The Red Cross is a great way to start. Your local Emergency Management Agency is always looking for volunteers for Community Emergency Response Teams. I'm CERT-tabbed and help train local CERT's, love them! And of course if you want to help in an even bigger way, your state may be one of the 24 in the country with a State Defense Force. SDF's are a step above because they're a part of your state's Department of Defense. You don't serve in a t-shirt and jeans, you serve in uniform, as part of a well-trained military force. Trust me, there's nothing like it, it would be the experience of a lifetime if you have never served in the military before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit