Jury Service in the UK

by Nambo 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nambo
    Nambo

I had always thought the powers that be knew I was a JW and so never called me up for Jury Service.

Today however, I received a summons for Jury Service.

What is the JW's position on Jury Service?, What will happen to me when I refuse to swear an oath?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

You can affirm rather than swearing a religious oath but need to tell the Clerk of the Court you want to do this.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/law_s/law_legal_system_s/law_taking_legal_action_s/jury_service_scotland.htm#h_who_is_disqualified_from_serving

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    My iPad is going crazy I can't edit. Let Clerk of the Court know straight away. Perfectly acceptable to not take a religious oath.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Just out of curiosity since you dont know the jw position on jury service why do you assume its wrong to swear an oath...?
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    WT 1997 4/1 QFR "What Should a Christian Do When Called for Jury Duty" ?
    A long Article but the conclusion is :-
    In the final analysis, each Christian faced with jury duty must determine what course to follow, based on his understanding of the Bible and his own conscience. Some Christians have reported for jury duty and have served on certain juries. Others have felt compelled to decline even in the face of punishment. Each Christian has to decide for himself what he will do, and others should not criticize his decision.—Galatians 6:5.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I think the Dubs that use the religion as an excuse to not serve is because they just don't want to be bothered, like most folks that get called, they're just using the religion as a bona fide reason to be excused and it's not.

I know of several Dubs who have served.

• Nambo
    Nambo

Cheers Guys, So there is no Biblical reason not too?, I am quite looking for ward to it.

Morpheus, I have been out of the dubs 20 years so am unsure of their position, however, doesn't mean I am unaware of the Bibles position Matthew 5v37 and James 5V12

• Splash
    Splash

If you're an elder it is allowed.

In fact if you're an elder you can be jury AND judge.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Nambo ,

I`m confused . You say you have been out of the dubs 20 years , so why are you concerned what the Jehovah Witness position on jury service is . ?

Are you one that has left the" truth: but the" truth"has not left you ? feel free to pm me if you want to .

On the other hand as Xanthippe says you can affirm rather than swear an oath.

Personally , I was out for about 10 years when I got called up for jury service , the first case drug related I was not selected on , the second case I was selected on , and it turned out to be a MS who was accused of sexually abusing his stepdaughter .The female judge was very emphatic about us on the jury not to be responsible for a Mis-trial , that she would be very angry .First time on a jury I wanted to participate ,do my civic duty , not being allowed to as a witness.Because of the witnesses coming to his defense some of who I knew , and they may know me , I approached the judge and she excused me from that trial .

smiddy

• Louise
    Louise
    We don't have the jury system here in SA - wish we did - would love to be on one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit