Capitulation: When?

by metatron 5 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

It is commonly a human tendency to see your enemies/opponents as somehow bestial, subhuman, stupid and the like. So, I hesitate to simply 'write off' the Governing Body as utter fools, senile, drunk, arrogant beyond logic, or lost in 2012 as the representatives of a 19th century religion.

Nonetheless, it's simply hard to believe that they can fail to notice the intensifying confluence of negative trends and decline that surrounds them.

Food service? long gone. Subscriptions? a distant memory. 8 day conventions? Maybe they had dinosaurs back then. Brooklyn? Being sold off. Books? printing cutback. Magazines? Not What They Used To Be. Shall I continue?

At what point does a quiet capitulation take over? The 'let's retire to upstate NY and live in our country club' attitude.

Ah............ well, perhaps it already has....

metatron

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

There does appear to be an unwinding of the organization.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

They are there, if not physically, at least mentally. No effort to expand anymore, halving the magazines? No new books in a couple of years?

There is either a serious lack of ambition, or a huge shortage of cash. Probably both.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Or, they're just conserving cash. A lot of businesses have discovered during this recession that they are better off financially after cutting back on quality or quantity, laying off employees, and running "leaner and meaner." The remaining workers don't go away; if anything, they focus on holding on to their jobs. Even if this means doing more work, or someone else's work in addition to their own. Once they realize they can make almost as much (and in some cases more) profit by cutting expenses at all levels, the paradigm shifts. Perhaps dub leadership has figured this out, too.

• Farkel
    Farkel

met,

The leaders of the WTS will NEVER capitulate. They are sociopaths. They are more likely to move out in the middle of the night and enjoy their retirement and leave the little dubbies blowing in the wind.

Farkel

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Honestly, I don't care what happens to the business of the Watchtower. The capitulation I want to see is that they stop exercising such deep control over their members' lives.

In particular: stop shunning family, and stop discouraging higher education. Obviously there are more acute problems (pedophilia, blood, etc.) but those two affect practically every Witness family in the developed world. If those changed, then the dubs wouldn't be significantly worse (for most families) than any of the other wacky offshoots of Christianity that fill the US.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit