Way Your JW Parents Embarrass You

by Pig 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pig
    Pig

What did your parent do that really embarrassed you while you were in school?

I think the thing I always hated is when my parents had to preach to my teachers.

In grade 6 we were going to watch Jamanji but needed consent form because the film was PG13+ and we were 12. My mum sent me to school with a huge letter about spritism. I was the only one out of about 45 kids who had to sit out.

The next was having to give letters to the teachers right through high school explaining I was away on Friday due to a circuit assembly of Jehovah's witnesses.

And I also remember during birthdays, my mum gave the teacher a snack so I wouldn't eat the cake. The teacher would almost announce it. I guess my parents were trying to be nice but it drew more attention to me. She kept the chocolate bar in her desk draw and everytime someone saw her open it they knew that was my non birthday bar. LOL. A constant reminder.

Oh and one more was when my parents had a fight with the teacher because the teacher insisted the camp was essential to my learning but my parents refused to let me go. Note to teachers: it makes us feel 10 times worse when you do this.

• St George of England
    St George of England

In a restaurant and insist on a prayer on the meal!

George

• Sulla
    Sulla

How about going to buy their 16-year-old son a suit because he is going to pioneer?

salesguy: We don't get too may teenagers who want a suit. Special occasion?

Sulla's Mom: He's going into the ministry.

salesguy: Oh! [sideways glance at young Sulla]

[Sulla ignores look, considers suicide]

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

When we were traveling across country, and lucky enough to stop at a restaurant to eat, instead of a stale, 2 day old, home packed sandwich, my parents would inevitably spy some well dressed family at another table. A discussion ensued between my parents if the offending well dressed people were JWs. Of course they were, no one else dresses nicely. They would get up and quiz the people, who always said an emphatic "NO!"

My brother and I always wanted to crawl under the table!

• harleybear
    harleybear

You're going to love this. I was 15 at a CO assembly. I was very awkard about the whole boy thing. Now being a county girl I had a thing about cowboys. This elder came up to me and said this young brother (who was a cowboy) was asking about me wanted to meet me. Well I was flattered, off guard and a bit giddy. This elder went on and on in front of me and my mother about how nice he was and good looking. As a goof, awkard, shy JW sister I was interested. He played it on and on for the entire assembly. Come to find out there was no good looking cowboy, and my Mom was in kahoots with the elder. I was devistated because of embarrrassment. Never ever told anyone I was in the least bit interested in anyone. Even today can't believe my mother was a part of that humiliation. Also FS in a small town. Everybocy knew me.

My father could not read or write. He made me prepare his M. S. talks with illistrations and he would call on the audience to read scriptures. Going to the Book Study. One brother who knew he could not read would deliberatley call on my father to read. I would pretend he called on me to read. I kept that up from the time my father stared attending the meeting in 1969 until I left home in 1975, Brother was a Giliad grad and his brother is or was a big shot at Bethel. Nice bunch of folks. Assholes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit