First human head transplant could happen in two years.

by James Mixon 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    www.newscientiat.com There goes the argument gay men can't have kids.
  • JeffT
    JeffT

Here's a better link.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530103.700-first-human-head-transplant-could-happen-in-two-years.html#.VS2VT_nF8fV

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for this to happen. For starters keep in mind that surgeons and internists seem to have differing definitions of the word "success." As seen in this quote from the article:

The first successful head transplant, in which one head was replaced by another, was carried out in 1970. A team led by Robert White at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio, transplanted the head of one monkey onto the body of another. They didn't attempt to join the spinal cords, though, so the monkey couldn't move its body, but it was able to breathe with artificial assistance. The monkey lived for nine days until its immune system rejected the head.

While the surgical techniques seem to be close, there are a lot of other technologies involved in a transplant. I guess we'll know in a year or two.

PS: where are you going to get the bodies to attach the heads to?

• Village Idiot
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Sorry, double post.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Sorry again, triple post.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I know of a few leaders of a religious cult that could use some new brains !

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

JeffT: Yes I agree, I wouldn't hold my breath. But if he succeeded just think of

the possibilities. But like you said "where are you going to get the bodies".

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Village: That's funny. That's the problem, my 68 year old head on a body

of a 20 year old.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    I watched the footage of that monkey head transplant surgery on a Michael Mosley doco recently, it was only the head that worked after transplant not the body. The transplanted head was relly pissed off when it woke up.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon
    sparrowdown:I would be pissed too, Dr do I have a body? No just a working head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit