Cyprus District Convention

by Joe Grundy 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

This is the report in the online edition of the Cyprus Mail announcing the DC (http://www.cyprus-mail.com/jehovahs-witnesses/jehovah-s-convention/20120703):

"THE DISTRICT Convention of Jehovah’s Witnesses will be held this Friday at the Spyros Kyprianou Athletic Centre in Limassol. The two-day convention titled “Safeguard Your Heart!” will be held over three days, ending on Sunday July 8.

According to a press release, the convention will highlight biblical references to the heart, encouraging self-scrutiny and reflection, which will amount to a three-day examination of what the convention calls “one’s own figurative heart”.

The convention programme will be presented in Greek, English and Russian and will be translated in Arabic, Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Singhalese and sign language for deaf people.

An estimated 4,000 people will attend the convention. Programme sessions start at 9.20am all three days and finish at 4.55pm on Friday and Saturday and 3.40pm on Sunday. Admission is free, and no collections will be taken."

This sentence made me laugh: "The two-day convention titled “Safeguard Your Heart!” will be held over three days ..."

I've never been a JW or been to a DC but reading reports here on JWN suggest that they are mind-numbingly boring. Well, now it's official - it's a two day event cunningly squeezed into three days. You weren't hallucinating, time really does pass slower at DCs.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, Joe - to be fair: Maybe if they are REALLY translating it into all those languages simultaneously I guess it could take three days with all the time gaps to translate.

Just think: Sparlock will be translated into - Arabic, Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Singhalese and sign language for deaf people.

Wonder what the sign language for Sparlock is?

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

interesting, this part is almost word for word from a newspaper article that pretends to be written by a non witness "According to a press release, the convention will highlight biblical references to the heart, encouraging self-scrutiny and reflection, which will amount to a three-day examination of what the convention calls “one’s own figurative heart”.

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=396404

check out the above article and compare that 2, now, maybe i am reading it wrong, but the "reading eagle" article tries to portay it as being written by an outside source. but they are using the exact same phrases as the press release. I smell BS!!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Actually, it's a half-hour program stretched to fill a mind-numbingly boring 3 days.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's it was a 2-day event stretched out to 4 days and sometimes they got full of themselves and stretched it out for a whole week.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Never believe newspaper reports, especially if written by a JW.

My local paper had an article about the convention here last week; it said a pool had been built to baptise the hundreds of new converts. There were 11 baptised from an attendance of nearly 8000. We should be looking for about 5 or 6 new ones in Cyprus.

George

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Billy that's great!

Half-hour talk warped into a multi-day event.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I've always wanted to visit Cyprus, but I can think of better ways to spend my time there than a mind-numbing, dumbed-down district convention of Jehovah's Witnesses!

Quendi

• spirituk
    spirituk

anyone from cyprus?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit