Why do JW cringe at certain words?

by TR 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TR
    TR

For example: BULLETIN BOARD

(from Cambridge International Dictionary of English)

(British and Australian) A notice board (Am bulletin board) is a board on a wall on which notices can be fixed.
    I've put the list of players up on the notice board.

What the hell is so scary and untheocratic about that?

TR

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

Maybe someone in the writing department could really predict the future and they wanted to demonize the word WAY in advance:

*** km 9/95 6 Maintaining a Balanced View of Computer Technology ***
    9 Other Serious Pitfalls: As outlined on page 17 of the August 1, 1993, issue of The Watchtower, connecting a computer to an electronic bulletin board can open the way to serious spiritual dangers. Just as an unscrupulous individual can place on a bulletin board a virus—a program designed to corrupt and destroy computer files—apostates, clergymen, and persons seeking to corrupt others morally or otherwise can freely place their poisonous ideas on bulletin boards. Unless a bulletin board, even one labeled “JW Only,” is properly supervised, with its use being limited to those who are mature, faithful servants of Jehovah, it could expose Christian users to “bad associations.” (1 Cor. 15:33) The Society has received reports that such so-called private networks have been used not only to speculate regarding spiritual matters but also to give bad advice, spread gossip and false information, plant negative ideas, raise questions and doubts that subvert the faith of some, and disseminate private interpretations of Scripture. On the surface, some information may appear to be interesting and informative, and yet it may be laced with poisonous elements. Christians look to “the faithful and discreet slave” for timely spiritual food and for clarifications. (See The Watchtower of July 1, 1994, pages 9-11.) A Christian has the serious responsibility to safeguard his faith against all corrupting influences and, basic to that, should always know with whom he is associating.—Matt. 24:45-47; 2 John 10, 11.
  • TR
    TR

LOL, SW! That was a LUCKY prediction!

(from Cambridge Dictionary of American English)

luck
    noun [U]
    chance, or that which happens to you as the result of chance
    It was just by luck that she got the job.
    Luck is also the amount of success experienced: She had bad luck in the last race, finishing fourth.
    Jean had good luck in finding her great-grandmother's birth records.
    Luck is also success: I've got a job interview today, so wish me luck.

"Do you have any tickets for tonight's game?" "You're in/out of luck (= They are available/not available)."

lucky
    adjective
    having good things happen by chance
    For ten games, the Orioles have gotten every conceivable lucky break.
    Today is my lucky day!

luckily
    adverb
    I was late getting to the airport, but luckily for me, the plane was delayed

TR

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

• Justin
    Justin

With regard to the term bulletin board (the old-fashioned kind which is hung on a wall - not the computerized version), I remember someone telling me that the reason the term is not used is because it can be traced back to the "papal bull" - an official notification published by the Pope!

Of course, this kind of reasoning, tracing something back to its supposed source without regard for current usage, can be applied to all sorts of things.

Justin

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

TR,

It was back in the 50's when I was corrected about using the term 'bulletin' board at our Kingdom Hall.
    I was told that it was improper because it was akin to the Roman Catholic Church and their 'Papal Bulls'...therefore BULLetin board.

With Rutherford's hated of all things Catholic, I'm guessing he is the one who put that spin on the term.

Smoldering Wick, thanks for your very informative post. By now transferring this concept to 'electronic bulletin boards' they continue to try and reinforce this RCC spin and the evil of the Papal Bulls connection, IMO.

Interesting though, don't you think, that so very many of their members ignore their specific advice and instead seek out such bulletin boards.
    Evidenced by the fact that we have several active posters currently using this forum to defend and post their JW mindset.

Before I made this post, I typed 'papal bulls' into a search engine, and then scanned the results. It was of note to me that the term 'apostate' showed up with frequency.

And, it is also noteworthy to view the RCC hierachy: Pope, Cardinals, Bishops, Deacons, laymen, etc. and the parallel structure of the Watchtower's own FDS, DO's, CO's, Elder's, Pioneers, R&F, etc.

• gumby
    gumby

A bunch of brothers watching a football game...here is the conversation......"Did you see that catch he made? Was that a lucky....ooops I mean FORTUNATE catch or what?
    The other brother responds...'yeah, but your team still SUCKS! They got their HEADS UP THEIR BUTTS!.

Intresting how they follow the rules in some ways then do the opposite in others.

• Gopher
    Gopher

To a JW, Church is the name of a worship site for condemned people. They will say they don't go to a church, but a Kingdom Hall.

In my travels around America, though, you can almost always find JW's in the Yellow pages under the heading "Churches -- Jehovah's Witnesses".

Other religions who don't use the word church will redirect you to their listing, such as "Churches--Jewish (see TEMPLES)" or "Churches--Islamic (see MOSQUES)".

J.R.Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• pralis
    pralis

JWs are so concerned about the ROOTS of certain items, such as birthday celebrations, Christmas, Easter, saying "God bless you" when you sneeze, refraining from saying "good luck", etc. I'm surprised American Witnesses are still using the names for the days of the week, since they're mostly based on Norse gods and goddesses. For example, Wednesday is "Woden's Day". Thursday is "Thor's Day". Friday is "Freya's Day". Saturday is "Saturn's Day". And so on. Can any JW own a Ford "Taurus"? Can they drink Welch's grape juice, since Mr. Welch's ORIGINAL purpose for the Welch's company was to make and supply sacramental wine (which JWs believe is part of pagan worship)?

Yes, it all sounds silly. But that's the whole point.

Pralis

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit