Colorado Custody Case

by Desperatelilone 2 Replies latest social family

• Desperatelilone
    Desperatelilone

I am a catholic and I have a son with a practicing JW. We have never been married and I have had sole custody of him since he was born. My son's father is taking me back to court for joint decision making and wanting to have visitations during holidays even though he does not celebrate. I think he is trying to keep our son from enjoying these holidays he always as with my family. We live in Colorado and I was hoping that maybe someon out there may be able to help me. I fear he is getting help form the WTS or someone, as he does not have the funds for an attorney. Desperate for help any suggestions or help would be so appreciated, I am in fear for my son. He is already having issues in school feeling different from the other kids.

• alamb
    alamb

I/M me.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    he does not have the funds for an attorney

Just my hunch, but maybe he's really fishing for a way to reduce the child support payments (I assume he's paying support.) With shared custody and scheduled visitation, the father is assumed to be supporting your son when he's under his roof. His support payments would be adjusted accordingly.

I am in fear for my son. He is already having issues in school feeling different from the other kids.

Get that documented, from the school counselor or teacher etc. The court will want to rule in the child's best interest, and without credible evidence that joint decision-making and scheduled visits would be harmful they usually prefer that both parents be involved.

Also, refer to Freemind's review of the Watchtower Preparing for Child Custody Cases. That pamphlet is a common form of help the Watchtower provides for custody cases. Knowing what's in the other side's playbook will help you and your attorney prepare your side of the case.

You should see an attorney experienced in Colorado family law. An initial consultation won't be too expensive, sometimes even free, and will help you find out exactly what you're up against and what avenues are open to you. Gather relevant documents before you go: any existing custody decree, child support orders and payment history, the child's birth certificate or other proof of paternity, reports from school counselors, any written relevant communications between you and the father, and (of course) any court documents you have been served. These establish the details of your case, and one detail could make a huge difference in the outcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit