Give Patagonia back to the native people

by jamesmahon 0 Replies latest social current

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

It came to my attention that Argentina has for the past 130 years being occupying Patagonia having forcibly removed or killed the native people there during the conquest of the desert http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquest_of_the_Desert.

These people didn't have the knowledge of complex European treaties and flags to stake claim to territory. They just thought that because they had lived there all their lives (as well as at least several generations previous) they had some right to govern themselves in the land which they lived. Unfortunately they were wrong. Argentina claims that this was the right thing to do because the native people apparently would side with Chile in a war with Argentina (and the farmland looked pretty good up there as well). I think this threat has probably subsided now so surely it is time that these lands were returned to their rightful owners?

If the Argentine people who currently live there want to stay that is fine but they will no longer be able to call themselves Argentine and will be governed by a native parliament and subject to their rules. Now how do I petition the UN?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit