Anyone else in Egypt

by JWdaughter 6 Replies latest jw friends

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I am lonely. Seriously. I am surrounded by a lot of young kids, I get proposals from taxi drivers and the occasional security guy, but I really have not made any friends here in town yet. Any grownups in Egypt? If you speak English it's a bonus, though I am in my second week of Arabic class.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Good god. What type of "proposals" are you getting from these taxi drivers and security guys?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I know someone that was in Egypt but they are now in the USA. Sorry!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Two days ago was a fun one. A guy, probably in his mid 30s told me how much he loved. . . AMERICA and that (after I told him I was married-which every expat/tourist tells everyone no matter if they are or NOT) told me if I dumped my husband and went to America with him, he would give me lots more babies. As I am in my mid 40's and he smoked the entire time he made the offer-while he was driiving a TAXI, it really wasn't much temptation.

Don't believe anyone who tells you that people in the middle east hate America. I haven't met ONE single person who hates America. I met a 'radical islamist' who told me that he prayed for america, but it seemed pretty innocuous.

OTOH, a lot of people (other than taxi drivers, who have a difficult, demanding and poorly paid job) are not that interested in moving to America, but they all have to brag about their brother/cousin/aunt who lives in Pittsburg/Chicago/LA. Most are not living rich, or even well. They are happy to welcome visitors here, but it isn't the same as getting close to people as friends. So far, the only offers have come from men and they involve moving back to America (And having more kiids!)

i am moving Saturday so I hope I make some new acquaintances and some friends.

• noni1974
    noni1974

The guy I'm seeing is from Egypt.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Noni, I would ask you questions (to see if certain things hold true generally, but that would be insdiscreet of me :)I will assume that some ARE true generally due to your emoticon:)

They can be very charming. . .and some other things. Some are so gorgeous they don't even look real (seriously, l the other day in the mall-I thought I saw a giant cardboard cutout of some (too gorgeous airbrushed) rock star or movie star/action hero type. Then he MOVED! And joined his friends at the Nile City Mall! I guess they were watching movies too (he looked too pretty to be doing something so mundane as watching a movie)

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Apparently there is no lurking contingent of ex JWs living in Egypt. Dang.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit