Pickle Omelet

by BizzyBee 9 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Funny how childhood food remains a touchstone for comfort as we grow older.

My mother used to make us sandwiches thusly:

Toasted bread, one piece spread with mayonnaise, one spread with mustard. One or two scrambled eggs fitted atop the bread, sliced pickles and tomatoes on top of that. Cheese melted on the eggs was a bonus.

So, I no longer eat bread, but craving the flavors, you know? So I made a 2-egg omelet, topped with a chopped tomato, diced sour pickles, slathered with a bit of lo-cal mayo, and a few squirts of mustard. Heaven.

And you?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

My mom always used to make something called Seafoam jello. It is pretty much just jello mixed with cream cheese, whipped topping, milk and mashed pears. I still love it. I don't have the proper pans to make it. Maybe I should buy them.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, most industrious Bee:

While never a die-hard pickle enthusiast, I do, upon finding a jar of sliced large dills (sandwich style), eat them with relish. How and when, you well may ask, do I happen upon such?

I house sit and am given free rein in the cucina, whether vecchia or moderna. These altered cukes are, of course, a most excellent addition to a cheese and meat sandwich. I like Ezekial Sprouted Grain bread.

Mayo is Nature's most perfect food, though Garfield's nomination of lasagna is not far off track.

Et tu, Bizzay?

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

How about a saltine cracker with a slice of cheddar, a pickle slice, and a little shot of mustard. mmmmmmmm. Also when I was a kid I used to eat the bakers chocolate that my mom kept. A lot of times that was the only chocolate in the house. To this day I like bitter chocolate.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Coco,

I, too sing the praises of mayo. That most pedestrian of French sauces creates a bridge between so many disparate flavors.

Chocolate mayonnaise cake.

Caesar salad dressing.

Chicken or tuna salad.

Sandwiches of every type.

Salad dressings in general.

With extra lemon juice, a dip for artichokes.

A side dressing for cooked beets.

Slathered on pork chops, then dipped in bread crumbs and slow-baked.

With lemon, it dresses cold salmon.

Indispensible!

• compound complex
    compound complex

BB:

Thanks!

I'd write more, but you made me make a salad with the works!!!!!

Busy chowing down....

Love,

CC

• talesin
    talesin

Mac & Cheese, homemade *sigh* Can't be made w/out the pasta, though, so it's verboten.

The same for grilled cheese sandwiches, or mozzarella and sliced Spanish onion sandwiches slathered with mayo. YUM!!!

tal

• talesin
    talesin

A tablespoon of mayo, and some garlic chili paste, really adds a creamy/spicy element to the omelette, if you wish to try it.

:D

• dingo1
    dingo1

just started jonsin for fried eggs, especially the yolk. i hate eggs and yolks. i wonder if the body craves certainn food subconsciensly perhapse craving food which the body is lacking. like pregos needing milk or certain protiens. BRAWNDO. IT HAS WHAT PEOPLE CRAVE... IT HAS ELECTROLYTES.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

i wonder if the body craves certainn food subconsciensly perhapse craving food which the body is lacking.

I wonder, too. If I fail to have some red meat for a few weeks, I crave it - perhaps a guard against anemia or low B-12?

Just thought of another mayo favorite:

Sourdough bread, lots of mayo, lots of sliced avocado, S & P, and lots of chopped red or white onion. The mayo holds it all on the bread. Plus a good red wine to drink while assembling the sandwich and while eating it. Oh, baby! Comfort food.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit