Disowning the God of the OT is not an Option

by cofty 94 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    Just remember: if any of us are ex-JWs then we are the last people on earth who should recommend a view or conviction as true or more correct than another and state that someone else’s view is incorrect.

Many of us have made the move from faith-based thinking to evidence-based thinking.

That puts us in a very strong position to challenge and scrutinise beliefs. Personally I very much value it when people oppose my ideas as long as they do so with facts that I may not have considered.

Opinions are of no value. Only the evidence counts. It was a lack of regard for objective evidence that kept us in a cult.

• pacloc
    pacloc
    Cofty, you do not understand Christ at all. You have been led by your fear of death to become so angry at God, you will not listen to reason. Death rules you and makes you act irrationally. Christ came to destroy our fear of death. True Christianity teaches that death has no power over us now if you choose to believe. Take away God, and now who will you blame for death? If God is not real, you have told me your all-wise reason for death, that "sh** happens". You need God to fuel your reason for existence, to hate Him and try to make others hate Him. Until you realize what it is that true Christianity teaches, not what you say that it is, you will never listen to anything I or others will have to say. In the events of the O.T. God was teaching us lessons, and likewise in the N.T. and all through time. If you refuse to learn the lesson while others do, you are the one that is lacking wisdom. Keep shaking your fist to the sky and groan that in time you will be no more. Others have learned that in the world that we have made sick by our choices, it is truly the greatest thing to offer your life for the sake of others, no longer fearing death, but welcoming it, if it could mean that those left will learn the lesson and pass on the destruction of the fear of death and lesson of self-sacrificing love.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Cofty, you do not understand Christ at all. You have been led by your fear of death to become so angry at God, you will not listen to reason.

I do not intend to speak for Cofty, but, my understanding from reading his posts is that he is an atheist. If your very first assertion is wrong, illogical and ridiculous, namely that he is angry with something he doesn't have a belief in, please explain why anyone should bother to read the rest of your post.

• cofty
    cofty
    You have been led by your fear of death to become so angry at God, you will not listen to reason - pacloc

Eh?

What are you waffling about? I have no fear of death at all. What gives you the arrogance to tell me what my fears are?

In the events of the O.T. God was teaching us lessons

So god advocated slavery, infanticide, kidnap, rape/forced marriage, homophobia, misogyny and genocide to teach us a lesson did he? Could he not have taught us a better lesson by teaching us not to do those things?

Why do you repeat the hackneyed canard that atheists hate god? It is foolish.

My point is to show the inherent contradiction in biblical christianity. Still waiting for a reasonable response.

You have posted an incoherent sermon but done nothing to actually deal with the topic.

• cofty
    cofty
    Until you realize what it is that true Christianity teaches, not what you say that it is, you will never listen to anything I or others will have to say

I used to preach it. I understand it as well as any christian.

• pacloc
    pacloc
    Cofty is not an atheist, he is anti-Christ. Why else would someone constantly attack God? I could understand attacking JWs and other dangerous cults, or even hypocritical Theists, but attacking the very concept of "God" and with such animosity sparked with disgust in his allowance of death and suffering speaks loudly of his anti-God beliefs. You seem to be in the same boat, if you feel obliged to answer before him.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Cofty is not an atheist, he is anti-Christ Why else would someone constantly attack God? - pacloc

Because rejecting one set of superstitious beliefs for a different set leaves us no further forward.

You think I am angry - you can't see the smirk on my face as I read your rants.

• JWINQUESTION
    JWINQUESTION
    Pacloc, why do you need to attack cofty like that? Can you address your issue in a more tactful way? Like I said, I am a borderline atheist right now and would be open to hear what you have to say if you address yourself in a non-attacking way.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Cofty is not an atheist, he is anti-Christ.

You don't get to speak for Cofty. He can tell you his views all on his own without your assumption born from lacking knowledge about them.

Why else would someone constantly attack God?

Because the god of the bible murdered millions, ordered genocide, abortion, rape, slavery. It is a moral monster.

I could understand attacking JWs and other dangerous cults, or even hypocritical Theists, but attacking the very concept of "God" and with such animosity sparked with disgust in his allowance of death and suffering speaks loudly of his anti-God beliefs.

Since you can't define your god without defining a moral monster in the most contradictory terms, why shouldn't that idea be attacked? You're nowhere close to making your case.

You seem to be in the same boat, if you feel obliged to answer before him

Again, you seem arrogantly uninformed to presume to know what I feel obliged to do. Have you considered speaking only for yourself and not dishonestly pretending to know things about other people that you cannot possibly know? It would be so much more honest and refreshing on your part.

• pacloc
    pacloc
    Cofty if we settle even just one of your claims of the O.T. evils that God advocates, would that help you? Or would it do nothing? I'm willing to try to reason on just one the evils of your choice if you think it would be fruitful. I just don't think you really care to see my side, you seem so mean in your writing style. I look on this site and respond only once and a while, and I feel sorry for anyone that is not mature in the faith and could be easily discouraged by your words. Why do you have to be so against God? We've gone in circles about this before, if He is make believe, why the constant attack? You have agreed that most Christians if anything try to live decently because of Him, it is not normal to become a dangerous cult like the JWs from Christianity, it is the exception.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit