Disowning the God of the OT is not an Option

by cofty 94 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Cofty said :"Jesus of the gospels was an egotistical failed apocalyptic cult leader who enticed men to abandon their families and follow him around Palestine preaching nonsense."

Yes, this is what we may see through the Gospels, after applying an unbiased textual criticism. However, I don't think that the Gospels are telling us more than 20% of the personality of Jesus. Jesus did not write any book, and currently I strongly believe that he did not say things like "I and the Father are one", "before Abraham I exist", "I am the resurrection and the life", and so on. I think that some of these phrases were invented by the Johaninne community. It is highly probable that he proclaimed some apocalyptic sentences, however, I believe that we was a better speaker and thinker than those other "christs" who appeared in the first century, and this is the reason why he could survive as a leader after dying. Nevertheless, I don't blame him of anything, because I ignore what he exactly did and said. However, I apply my criticism only on the text, not on the person.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Perhaps (and I hope I am very wrong), but just perhaps some of these people who are acting this way were originally attracted to the Witnesses because they are a group that has not tolerance for ambiguity. These are people who like feeling they are right, in fact they have to believe they are and that others and their opposing views are unenlightened by comparison. It’s like a drug.

Wow. What an uninformed and arrogant thing to say.

I can confirm that yes, you are very wrong. Not only are you wrong, but in your wrongness you have managed to be arrogant, presumptive and pretend to know the mind of others, put your ignorance on display, so to speak.

It's almost like you are exactly the thing you are complaining about. I've seen that quite a bit today, actually.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Caleb,

I am not a JW, so I am not part of the people you criticize, I hope.

I think you fit more the mold of a JW because you are acting as they do, like sensitive persons who easily take offense and are intolerant of criticism or disagreement. Your running away pretty much confirms that you fit the JW mold. They always run away. I know this first hand and I experienced it multiple times with multiple JW's.

Regarding the OT God, I find it quite despicable, but only if I use XXI century moral values. However, I find the study of the Bible quite enjoyable when put in the Near East historical and religious context during which it developed. In the end it all seems a mixture of mythology, fantasy, fairy tales, or rather nightmarish tales, mixed with history and philosophical thought spanning over a thousand years. Very interesting stuff and quite useful to understand how we got to where we are today.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

... tolerance for ambiguity ...

This is a topic worthy of its own thread.

I may start one in the next few days, ... better make that: a week or so.

Actually, it is a very important concept separate, but related to, the original intent of this thread.

Sadly I am very crunched for time at the moment so I'll merely do this fly-by and hope someone else picks it up.

If no one else does by May 3rd, I'll do it!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cofty: It is the exJW forum version of Godwin's Law.

Didn't someone dub that The Cofty Corollary a few years ago?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit