More sex scandals

by Decided 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Decided
    Decided

My second cousin called me and told me some things that happend in my old congregation right after I left. She was rapped at 15 yrs old by a brother and her father got the police involved but while they were discussing what to do the WT Society called and told them to drop it. They followed their advice. The judge told him to not drop the case and he was going to keep the papers in case he changed his mind. He never followed through on it. He died several years later. She knows of two other cases of a brother that molested two other girls 5 years old and nothing was done.

She is going to sue the WT Society. I hope she wins the case. I'll keep you posted.

The reason she is going to sue is because she saw the news about the case that was won and the trurma she has endured because of her rape.

Ken

• james_woods
    james_woods

To prove liability in the rape itself, she would have to prove that the Society somehow covered up that the guy was a rapist prior to the rape.

The society might have some legal issues if they prevented prosecuting the crime, but I would think probably not have a liability to the girl herself for the act.

However, it does make the point that literally thousands of such cases may be out there ready to be triggered by the Conti verdict.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

However, it does make the point that literally thousands of such cases may be out there ready to be triggered by the Conti verdict.

To take it a step further, what makes this particularly dangerous is that it cannot be undone and it can't be argued that it was addressed in any positive way! It is not like they changed the policies after few incidents (like in the Untank case in Australia, where they got the required certification). This is going to haunt them for a very long time....

• lost1
    lost1

Know of one case and so hope this person has the strength to do something now. I so hope so...

• Bella15
    Bella15

Oh YEAHH ... I already contacted the lawyer we contacted back in 2009 in regards to my niece's case - due to her PTSD priority was to get her well - but now things may be different ...

• Bella15
    Bella15

and it is not about the money ... but to add to pressure with lawsuits ...

• cofty
    cofty

The Candace Conti verdict has opened a crack, the real victory will come as others keep making it worse for the borg.

• DT
    DT

I'm glad she is taking some action. An apparently weak case could turn into a very strong case if additional evidence is uncovered. Even a settlement would be a victory and provide some justice for the victim and that much more pressure for the Society to change its policies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit