Father's Day, For Witnesses or Not?

by dontplaceliterature 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

I did a quick CDROM search on this holiday. There is not a single article that ties this holiday to paganism. There are a few about Mother's Day. The only mentions seem to be in groups of other holidays without an explanation, or in stories where an example is given of a Witness who does not celebrate it...for the lamest reason ever: "We should respect Father's every day...and we don't have to give them gifts just once a year."

Anyone ever feel like a total retard giving that excuse as a kid about Christmas or Thanksgiving?

• designs
    designs

I wear my Dad's Birth Stone ring everyday, sniff

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Oh no, you can't celebrate father's day. If you bought your Dad a gift in appreciation for providing food, clothing, shelter and love your entire childhood than that would be $$$ less dollars you'd drop in the conned-tribution box.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

I've never seen anything in writing either.....but an elder once explained:

1) celebrating Father's day would not be right because we would not be trying to keep ourselves separate from the world

2) like birthdays.....you are putting too much emphasis on one person for that day. It is very close to creature worship. We don't want to even come close to touching the unclean thing do we?

At that time in my life....I accepted his wisdom. Now I'd like to punch him in the throat.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Absolutely not. Haven't you heard about new light? Honor thy mother and thy father is so old light. Whose idea was that?

Instead, let's honor our former Watchtower leaders in a dedicated museum space at Bethel such as I've heard -- photographs, documents, and other Memorabilia -- is so fitting. Such grand leaders have had a distinctive place in Jehovah's organizational history, far greater than a lone parent -- mother or father -- as those only are significant to a few children, grandchildren, etc.

Len

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

@FatFreek

Our Circuit Assembly Hall has such a display, with a framed picture of Russel.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi dontplaceliterature. That is interesting. It's been some 35 years since my last circuit assembly so I've forgotten things like that.

I did a little search on my own WT Lib CD and you may be surprised at what I found.

As his knowledge of Scriptural truth increased, so did his understanding of birthday celebrations and worldly holidays and Jehovah’s view of them. When this man’s wife organized a social gathering for Father’s Day, he politely refused to attend. She felt, though, that he did not love her anymore and was putting his religion ahead of her and the family. He kindly explained that applying what he was learning from the Bible was helping to transform him into a better husband and father.The Watchtower, 1994, 3/15 p. 8, Jehovah’s Witnesses Around the World--The Bahamas.

True Christians do not need "Mother’s Day," "Father’s Day," "Christmas Day," "Easter Day" or other holidays that are outlined by the world because, while it is true that some persons might in all sincerity give on these occasions out of love, when they become Christians they refrain from having their giving marred by association with any holidays of pagan origin.The Watchtower, 1968 2/15 p. 119 par. 12, Working What Is Good Toward Those in the Faith.

As a footnote, one of my sons -- not a JW -- had me over to his place yesterday for Father's Day and treated me like a king. Great meal which this 49 year old prepared, my choice of movie on his 47" LED flat screen, and best of all -- some bonding that we'd never had as he only recently moved nearby.

Len

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Same articles I found, neither giving scriptural or even academic reasons for avoiding the observance, other than those I mentioned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit