Interesting post on surviving Armageddon

by Sassenach 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassenach
    Sassenach

I found this post on the Hourglass2outposts board. It is essentially a copy of a watchtower magazine article with some snippets of commentary. I'll place the link here, so you can read for yourselves the followups, but will also paste the article.

http://www.cyberpass.net/~h2o/wwwboard/messages/314729.html

Posted by JefferyMSchwehm [JefferyMSchwehm] on January 19, 2001 at 10:42:20 {dhk9LPTh/U7mGcjg8rgIMdud7girzQ}:

Hi gang-

Anyone who does not believe the Watchtower uses guilt, intimidation, and fear in order to motivate their followers need look
    no further than the study articles in the 2/15/01 Watchtower. The overall message is basically, "All who do not listen to the
    teachings of the Watchtower organization and apply them will be killed by God at Armaggeddon."

Here are some choice quotes:

"Zephaniah thus announced God's purpose to destroy Jerusalem, and this prophecy also pointed to the destruction of
    Christendom. In fact, with God's day of judgment so near today, all the world should 'keep silent before the Sovereign Lord
    Jehovah' and hear what he says through the "little flock" of Jesus' anointed followers and their companions, his "other
    sheep"...Annihilation awaits all who will not listen and who therefore set themselves against rule by God's Kingdom." pp 14

"None would escape the proclamation and execution of divine judgment. Those complacent apostates had settled down like
    dregs at the bottom of a wine vat. They did not want to be disturbed by an declaration of divine intervention in human affairs,
    but they would not escape the execution of God's judgment upon them. There will also be no escape for present-day practicers
    of false religion, including members of Christendom and those how have apostatized from Jehovah's worship."-pp 15

"For Judah there would be "a hurrying of Jehovah's day very much.' Similarly in our time, let no one think that the execution of
    Jehovah's judgment upon the wicked will occur in the distant future. Rather, as God acted quickly in Judah, so he will "hurry"
    his executional day...What a bitter time that will be for all who ignore Jehovah's warnings given by His Witnesses and who fail
    to embrace true worship."-pp 16

Here is a really interesting quote which is reminiscent of the gory postings of You Know here on H20. In fact, as I read these
    articles I wondered if these articles were contributed by You Know,...the delusional, junior member of the Faithful and Discreet
    Slave who frequents this board.

"Theirs will be a disgraceful end indeed, for God will strew the bodies-even the entrails- of these wicked ones upon the earth,
    "like the dung".-pp 17

"'Seeking Jehovah today' involves developing and maintaining a warm personal relationship with him in association with is
    earthly organization."-pp 18

"Unscrupulous men slander Jehovah's Witnesses, branding them "a dangerous cult." God is aware of their actions-and these will
    not go unpunished."-pp 20

"In these last days, it is Jehovah's Witnesses who call upon the name of Jehovah, who serve him unitedly in an unbreakable
    bond of love-yes, "shoulder to shoulder." They are the ones to whom Jehovah has given the pure language. This pure language
    includes a proper understanding of the truth about God and his purposes. Only Jehovah provides this understanding by means
    of his holy spirit....To whom has he given his spirit? Only "to those obeying him as ruler."...Jehovah's Witnesses alone are willing
    to obey God as Ruler in everything. That is why they are recipients of God's spirit and speak the pure language, the truth about
    Jehovah and his marvelous purposes." pp.27

Jeff S.

• Sassenach
    Sassenach

I've just been browing the watchtower's website. This goes well with the above material. It is from the brochure "What does God require of us?"

It states quite plainly:

"6. During Jesus' Thousand Year Reign, faithful humans will work to turn the whole earth into a paradise. (Luke 23:43) Also, millions of dead ones will be resurrected to human life on the earth. (Acts 24:15) If they do what God requires of them, they will continue to live on earth forever. If not, they will be destroyed forever.—John 5:28, 29; Revelation 20:11-15.

7. God's original purpose for the earth will thus succeed. Would you like to share in these future blessings? If so, you need to keep learning about Jehovah and obeying his requirements. Attending meetings at the local Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses will help you to do so.—Isaiah 11:9; Hebrews 10:24, 25.

These statements are direct and certainly make no attempt to beat around the bush! To live forever you must become one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

So why is it that some of jehovah's witnesses say they don't teach such a thing?

• amicus
    amicus

Sass,
    I wrote and then discarded a critique on the 3 study articles from this mag. I enjoyed the emphasis placed upon Apostates being destroyed at Armageddon and then the "submissive" (the word that was used to render -meek) being rewarded after same event. I found the subliminal teaching humorous. I've known for a long time that the WTBTS uses that technique, but they are making it a little too obvious.
    Hey WTBTS! Come on, I enjoy spotting your little dirty tricks, but make me work for it guys!

• joel
    joel

Well....I didn't know they were still being so blatant about it...but there's never been any doubt that they have always said that JW's are the only ones who can hope to be saved.
    And believe it or not...I still know some JW's that say..."They never said that!" Yea...right [8>] ...

... w81 12/1 27 The Path of the Righteous Does Keep Getting Brighter ***
    Jehovah God has also provided his visible organization, his "faithful and discreet slave," made up of spirit-anointed ones ... Unless we are in touch with this channel of communication that God is using, we will not progress along the road to life, no matter how much Bible reading we do."

Pax,
    joel

• TR
    TR

Well, we certainly have come to expect no less from the Witchtower Babble and Trick Society.

I can't imagine that they would back off from their doom and destruction prophesying. Actually it's not the doom and destruction that bother me, it's their weasily way that they do things. The WTS is the same sort of hypocrites they spout about other religions. How many times has the WTS hinted about the end, and it didn't come to pass? Here's just a few snippets from "The End Is Near, A Comprehensive Compilation of Watchtower Dates":

1999: "The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century. {WT Jan 1 1989 12}{bound volumn changed 20th century to "day")

1999:"...there are many indications that 'the end' is much closer than that (the turn of the century)" {WT Mar 1 1984 18-9}

1999: "Shortly, within our twentieth century, the 'battle in the day of Jehovah' will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom." {TNSK 216}

2000: "For the year 2000, I visualize a world transformed into a beautiful paradise! But I don't think that either the present world or it's rulers will live to see that day. We are living in the last days of this system of things." {Awake Nov 8 1986 78}

2000-1: "if the wicked system of this world survived until the turn of the century(the year 2001?), which is highly improbable in view of the world trends and the fulfillment of Bible prophecy, there would still be survivors of the World War 1 generation. However, the fact that their number is dwinding is one more indication that 'the conclusion of the system of things' is moving fast toward it's end." {WT Oct 15 1980 3}

(bold mine)

With bs like that who needs the bull?

TR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit