IBM and the Holocaust (book review)

by dungbeetle 5 Replies latest social entertainment

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

IBM and the Holocaust by Edwin Black (2001), Random House.

This is from the forward to the book--

TO MY DAUGHTER RACHEL, who will reaad this book; AND TO SIX MILLION WHO WILL NOT.

My parents are Holocaust survivors. My mother escaped from a boxcar at Treblinka, was shot, buried..my father discovered her...

The Nazis had my parents' names. How?

I was haunted by a question whose answer had long eluded historians. The Germans always had the lists of Jewish names. But how did the Nazis get the lists? For decades, no one has known. Few have asked.

...one day in 1993 in Washington at the United States Holocaust Museum. There, in the very first exhibit, an IBM Hollerith D-11 card sorting machine--riddled with circuits, slots, and wires--was prominently displayed. Clearly affixed to the machine's front panel glistened and IBM nameplate....so alothough 15 million people, including mnost Holocaust experts, have seen the display...little more was understood about this provocative display other than the brief curator's descroption at the exhibit and a few pages of supportive research.

I still remember staring at the machine for an hour, and the moment when I turned to my mother and father who accompanied me to the museum that day and promised them I would discover more.

The story of IBM and the Holocaust is just a beginning. I could have written twenty books with the documents I uncovered, one for every country in Europe.

Only through exposing and examining what really occurred can the world of technology finally adopt the well-worn mottoo: NEVER AGAIN.

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• larc
    larc

DB,

What is your point. The German governement ordered a card sorting machine from IBM. Does that some make IBM responsable for how it was used?

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Maybe reading the book would help you find a point larc.

I was going to put up this in-depth paragraph of what I thought of the book, but honestly--the author said it best and I will let his words stand on their own.

((((((larc))))))

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• JT
    JT

Dung

i recall about 3 yrs ago a documentary on the companies that cleaned up by working with Hitler and if I'm not mistaken IBM was one of them they photos of the Corp vp and pres with Hitler and others

also Mercedes Benz and a few other companies they listed and showed documents of all types of contracts they had with the germans andhow they REROUTED goods to get around any embargos

just a thought

• larc
    larc

Dung,

I would probably have to review the book to get a feel for the validity of the theme. On the face it, it seems to me that American companies sold whatever products they could to who ever would buy them, up until the declaration of war. It is well, known for example, that before WWII, the Japanese was buying up U.S. steel to beef up their arsonal of weaponry. Whether, our companies knew of their intent, I really don't know.

I know that after the war started, all of our companies that could contribute to our victory did so.

JT,

I think Mercedes Benz is a different case, since it is a German company.

• Seeker
    Seeker

If I recall, IBM continued selling equipment to Nazi Germany even after they realized what the equipment was being used for and even after the world was condemning Hitler. Thus the scandal all these years later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit