Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

by TheTruthBR 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I think this is genius on the society's part. What better way to know what is on people's minds than to know what they are 'searching' for. I'm sure they are going to use this for data mining purposes. Knowing how many times "607 587","1914" or "blood fractions" is searched for could help them tailor magazines to assuage apparent doubts.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

BOC, data-mining. Good point!

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thank you, thank you, thank you, 00DAD for uploading the WTS letter about its library to this thread. It answers the request diamondiiz made to me about proof of the WTS altering the text of its hard copy literature for its electronic version of the same. This says they fully intend to do so and to my mind, as someone who has engaged in much original research, this compromises the entire archive.

Why would the WTS do this? We all know the answer. They are determined to make this electronic "paper trail" say what it wants it to say. If Witnesses and other researchers have to rely only, wholly, and solely upon this online library, then the WTS can deny anything it wants and point to this collection as "proof" that it has or hasn't taught or put forward a particular belief.

Does anyone know if the WTS is still producing bound volumes of The Watchtower and Awake!? If those are still being printed I'm sure it is only because there are still many Witnesses who don't own computers. But since the organization is now bent on cutting costs wherever it can, the bound volumes will probably be phased out in the near future.

Quendi

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Quendi, you're welcome, but don't thank me, thank Atlantis who posted it here 5 days ago:

2012 June 8, BOE/2012 June 18, BOE!

I just copied the link and inserted it into this thread.

00DAD

• Quendi
    Quendi

Reading the letter from the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses about the online library makes me draw this conclusion: The WTS has no intention of providing access to publications which appeared prior to the year 2000 and not all the publications which were published from that year forward will be made available. I believe the purpose is to cover the WTS's tracks with respect to its doctrines, practices and culture as well as to carefully and selectively give information that will put the organization in the most favorable light possible.

Quendi

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Quendi,

Agreed. More and more they look like politicians or celebrities they way their public image is so carefully crafted.

They make the Pharisees of Jesus' day look like amateurs.

Fucking hypocrites!

00DAD

• j dubb
    j dubb

Could it be the WBT$ can no longer afford the CDs?

One key change is in the number of devices that don't even have optical drives to use a CD-ROM. Netbooks, tablets, mobile phones, smart TVs, etc.

CD/DVD ROM discs are amazingly cheap when purchased in bulk, cheaper than printing a book. With packaging, the cost of producing the CD-ROM library should be well under a dollar.

The data mining thing shoud be an enormous benefit to them for reasons already mentioned. Also, any webmaster knows where your visitors came from, or if the address was just typed in, the length of time individual visitors spend on the site, what you click on while there, and if they partner with some companies, can look at the 'tracking' or 'super' cookies on your PC and see some of your web browsing history.

• j dubb
    j dubb

I think we are about to see an explosion in the use of tablet devices. Google just announced what looks like will be the best tablet so far in the $199 price range, the Nexus 7; and there are already good choices in the sub-$200 range, like the Kindle Fire.

I believe casual and non-technical users are going to possibly pick up one of these instead of what would have been their next laptop. We already have increasing numbrs of dubs eschewing the briefcase of books and just bringing their tablet to the meeting. Star Trek foretold the future...

• trillaz
    trillaz

So glad this has become a tool to keep eyes upon the org

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit