Asher Allen - MN Vikings

by elder-schmelder 7 Replies latest jw friends

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

Asher Allen, a defensive back who has played three seasons for the Vikings and who just turned 24 years old, has abruptly retired.

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier told reporters today that Allen informed the team last week that he decided to call it quits. Frazier described himself as very surprised by Allen’s decision, and it’s impossible not to be surprised: NFL players just don’t walk away from the game, by choice, at the age of 24.

Allen retired because he recently became one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. He reached the decision shortly after being drafted, but wanted to fulfill his obligation to the Minnesota Vikings. The concussion issues may have been a catalyst to accelerating his timetable, but this was already in the cards.

I just heard that he was at my cousins wedding this weekend. He is now baptized, and just quit the NFL about 2 weeks ago.

elder-schmelder

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yes. Much too violent of a sport.

Of course you will never find that in print as 90% the US male membership would have to be drawn into the "back room" and reproved. They'd be forced to letting WOMEN serve as elders!

Doc

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Maybe he does not want to be another Junior Seau.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Article link

Former Minnesota Viking Asher Allen plenty busy with ministry, dairy council
    By Bob Sansevere
    [email protected]
    Posted: 02/13/2013 12:01:00 AM CST
    Updated: 02/13/2013 07:09:54 PM CST

Former Minnesota Viking Asher Allen is shown watching drills during training camp in Mankato on Monday, August 3, 2009. (Pioneer Press: Chris Polydoroff)
    Questions with Bob ...

Asher Allen had been a decent cornerback for the Vikings when he retired unexpectedly in May 2012. He had suffered a couple of concussions, but he was only 24 years old and walked away from a $615,000 salary.

The Vikings moved on without him and thoughts of Allen faded -- until last week. He resurfaced in a blurb from the Midwest Dairy Association, for whom he writes a blog. He also has some interesting factoids about his life on the group's web site: "I am currently volunteering my time as a full-time minister of Jehovah's Witnesses. I have always enjoyed eating healthy and exercising. I love fishing, reading, cooking, golf and photography, and what's best is spending time with my wife, Brittany, in all those activities."

I checked in with Allen recently.

BS: What have you been doing since you retired from football?

AA: We've been doing the blog and when I was playing I was doing a lot with the Dairy Council, such as speaking engagements and things like that. I kept that going and came out with an idea of doing a blog, writing about my passion for food and exercise. My wife and I are sharing in volunteer ministry work in the Chanhassen area.

BS: Do you miss football?

AA: Yeah. That's natural to say. You miss something you did for 16 years. It was fun watching this season. I've seen it from a different angle.

BS: Was it tough leaving a $615,000 salary for the 2012 season on

the table?
    AA: For my wife and I, it was a decision we came to. God tells us he'll provide all the things we need when we put him first in our lives. We've definitely seen it in our lives. We had that feeling inside we wanted to do more. Being able to leave at that time was best for us.

BS: Did you retire because of concussions?

AA: It was part of the equation. I try not to make that the theme of why I left. I was 24 years old and getting out of bed a little differently. We wanted the quality of our lives. I wanted to have a body where I could do more. When I played the game I did it for the love of the game and for fans and the community. We wanted to give back to the community in a different way. We study the Bible with people and decided for our love of God and love of neighbors we wanted to give back to neighbors.

BS: How did you get involved with the Midwest Dairy Association?

AA: I always was in the Vikings' kitchen talking with chefs for the team. I'd get recipes for them. They knew I had a love for food. The team already had communication with the Midwest Dairy Association. They thought it was a good fit. I've been doing it for the last four years.

BS: I noticed in your biography you're a Jehovah's Witness. While you're visiting with people, have you been recognized as a former Viking?

AA: You know what? If I walked around with (jersey number) 21 on my chest, they probably would. People look at me and say, "You don't play football. You're too small."

BS: Do you use your former status as a football player to your advantage?

AA: No, I don't. When we go door to door we try to emulate the example of Jesus Christ. We focus on the kingdom of God and that's what we try to concentrate on.

BS: Do you still follow the Vikings?

AA: Oh, man, yes. I'm still in contact with a lot of my teammates and coach (Leslie) Frazier. I have a lot of respect for the Vikings' organization. That is really a class organization.

BS: Is the door completely shut on playing football again?

AA: You know what? My wife and I chose to make our ministry our career. I would say it would be something I'd never turn to.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

OH SNAP dubs can read a newspaper article and commit all opf a sudden:

Joshua Self-Trainer Liston · Waubonsee Community College
    very encouraging brother!
    Reply · 30 · Like · Follow Post · February 14 at 10:40am

Ruby Rodriguez
    How cool ! Me and the hubby love watching the Vikings play. But love the fact that he said the ministry is his career now. I must repost LoL
    Reply · 20 · Like · February 14 at 12:02pm

Jordan Timothy Ciaccio · Cologne, Minnesota
    What a stand-up guy! I'm going to check out that jw.org website right now.
    Reply · 22 · Like · Follow Post · February 15 at 1:14pm

Aaron N Alana Bates · Works at Dynamic Electric Design
    www.jw.org is the official website of Jehovahs Witness.
    Reply · 17 · Like · Follow Post · February 15 at 9:05am

Carolyn Gillen · Polson, Montana
    He's putting Jehovah first. Love it!
    Reply · 16 · Like · Follow Post · February 14 at 2:35pm

Dianne Morstad · Minneapolis, Minnesota
    nice interview....very classy.
    Reply · 14 · Like · Follow Post · February 14 at 11:45am

Victoria Riley · Follow · Works at Author at Tate Publishing
    He is a very nice guy- My family had dinner with he and his wife after the Memorial last year. Brittany is equally as classy!
    Reply · 17 · Like · February 14 at 1:41pm

Lill Dorn · Washington, District of Columbia
    So happy for you brther...
    Reply · 13 · Like · Follow Post · February 14 at 9:40am

Ashley Whitlock · Olney, Maryland
    Very encouraging brother! I'm certain Jehovah will bless you and your wife's efforts in putting him first
    Reply · 12 · Like · Follow Post · February 19 at 10:22pm

Jana Kennedy
    Congratulations Brother! You couldn't have made a better choice. Reminds me of brother Moore in Tulsa, Oklahoma who made the same decision.
    Reply · 10 · Like · Follow Post · March 7 at 12:00pm

Jacqueline Berry · Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    My thoughts exactly! I went back to pioneer school with Bro. Levi Moore a few years back. He and his wife Michelle are in the circuit work.

Brother Allen, I hope you and your wife continue in your successful career of the full time service!! Thank you for your encouraging example!
    Reply · 5 · Like · March 7 at 1:17pm

Michael-Brayli Çostello · Follow
    This is SO encouraging. What a way to take a stand for God!
    Reply · 10 · Like · Follow Post · February 15 at 12:42am

Galanna Marie Thomas-Harris · Follow · OWNER/SPICE DEVELOPER at Kamoneyas Sugar And Spice Pure Home Made Gourmet Seasonings
    MAY JEHOVAH BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, THIS IS SO ENCOURAGING TO ALL OF YOUR BROTHER & SISTERS AROUND THE WORLD! JEHOVAH WILL ALWAYS PROVIDE...
    Reply · 8 · Like · Follow Post · February 26 at 4:57pm

Bonnie Perkins · Follow · Akron, Ohio
    May Jehovah continue to bless your family and your ministry.
    Reply · 7 · Like · Follow Post · February 25 at 10:16am

William Wade · Washington, District of Columbia
    My Brother! May Jehovah bless you and your familys efforts!
    Reply · 7 · Like · Follow Post · February 20 at 11:51am

Senior Davis · Apprentice Diesel Mechanic at Port Aggregates
    awesome!
    Reply · 6 · Like · Follow Post · February 25 at 7:02pm

Diana Reed Hagberg
    Wonderful testament to our loving God, Jehovah. Blessings will be yours as you put him first to do his will.
    Reply · 6 · Like · Follow Post · February 21 at 9:46am

Vera Williams · Davenport University
    I find it interesting that some would recommend articles written by apostates. Really, if you had been alive in the 1st century and you would have had questions about Jesus teachings, wouldn't you have gone to Jesus or one of his faithful apostles for answers? Surely you wouldn't have gone to Judas Iscariot, because he was a traitor.

Why then would someone want to go to a traitor to learn about Jehovah's Witnesses?
    Reply · 5 · Like · Follow Post · March 6 at 11:40pm

Tony Kirk Labon · Follow
    This is very commendable and encouraging. Putting Jehovah God first is of the utmost importance. He does care for those who put trust in him. Keep up the good work.
    Reply · 4 · Like · Follow Post · March 22 at 12:11am

Greg Jensen · Top Commenter · YCP
    Great story. This is what athletes should strive to be. Professional through and through. I don't care how good you are at the game, if you are as upstanding as this young man, you'll ALWAYS have my respect. Much love.
    Reply · 6 · Like · Follow Post · February 14 at 11:42pm

Tim Opp · Top Commenter · New Braunfels, Texas
    Go with God.
    Reply · 6 · Like · Follow Post · February 14 at 12:11pm

Clau Paredes Vera · Top Commenter
    ES una decisión que jamás mi hermano querido te arrepentirás bendiciones desde la distancia soy de chile y muchos hermanos están simplificando su vida ya que, este sistema tiene los minutos contados CONGRATULATIONS!

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Did anyone notice that all of the positive comments made on the article were submitted via Facebook...aren't social network sites like Facebook frowned upon by the GB?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Yeah go figure. Hypocrits!

If dude became a catholic preist they would be saying he joined a pedophile false religion...GTFOH!

• JeffJ
    JeffJ

Jordan Timothy Ciaccio · Cologne, Minnesota
    What a stand-up guy! I'm going to check out that jw.org website right now.
    Reply · 22 · Like · Follow Post · February 15 at 1:14pm

Nice try by this dope. I find it hard to believe though that he is unfamiliar with the website when his grandfather was an elder when I worked for him 20 years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit