New experience as an ex-witness today

by Paralipomenon 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

My wife volunteers at an animal rescue clinic and this year they were participating in the local Pride parade.

We were invited to attend as well and it was a very different experience.

When my wife asked if I would like to go, I had to think for a second. I am really not homophobic at all, but I confess I had never been to one. All I had seen was shots from the parade in downtown Toronto. The pictures I had seen were a bit more explicit than I would care to show my children.

Striking a balance between awareness and extremes. Not all lesbians are butch, not all gay men are flamboyant.

We did a bit of research and found that it was considered a family event so we went along. It was a short parade, and I would guess there was likely more people in the parade than watching. At one point a couple guys were walking against the parade handing something out. It seemed rather unprofessional to be handing things to participants in a parade, I figured it was coupons, but turned out to be a religious pamphelt.

It was put out by a local Baptist church.

Otherwise it was a short parade, the kids had fun and I got to add "march in a pride parade" onto my life's list of things to do, then cross it off.

• snowbird
    snowbird

There is a wide, wide world out there, and people are mostly good and decent.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Cool! There's one in my area next week and i was thinking of going.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

The gay people I know only act flamboyant/butch when they are around somebody who displays homophobia. I would attend a pride event if one of my gay friends invited me.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't think most homosexuals are trying to shove it down your throat. Most of them simply wish to practice what pleases them and mind their own business. The ones that push it in people's faces are actually seeking to create backlash--pushed by the Communist One World Totalitarian Government. The aim is to pxxx off enough Christians (and Muslims) so they can create even worse sex hangups and get them through, akin to the amalgam of Noahide Law, the Law of St Benedict, and Sharia Law.

My take: If you are gay or lesbian, that is your business. If you are bisexual, that too is your business. If you practice "kinky" sex, that is no more objectionable to me than your eating peanut butter topping on watermelon sherbet--a personal preference issue. You don't need to feel any shame or guilt. However, don't try forcing me to participate--that's when it becomes my business. And, those at the top trying to push this in people's face with the objective of creating this backlash ought to themselves try living as subjects to Noahide, St Benedict, and Sharia Laws and see how they like it.

• talesin
    talesin

I attend the Gay Pride Parade every year. It's so joyful! All these people who are finally free to be themselves, what a celebration.

It's very well-attended here in Halifax, and is the finale of Pride Week. Crowds of people line the streets, and a lot of fun is had by all.

Good for you, Para!

And I just have to say, the Baptists handing out flyers --- arrggh, that is worse than the JWs knocking on your door. smh

tal

• laverite
    laverite

Para - good for you! Thank you for sharing. Imagine if your image was captured on the news and the witnesses happened to see it. I don't know why thinking of that makes me giggle a little.

WT Wizzard - You wrote: " However, don't try forcing me to participate..." I absolutely agree! No one should force anyone to do anything they don't want to do sexually and this would go for straight or gay folks or anyone anywhere in between.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit