Awake! does not recommend....medical....

by Sam Beli 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

In this thread Rado shows us how to search the WT site using Google: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=22641&site=3

I did a search using his link and found this statement as a footnote at the bottom of the article:

Daily Aspirin
    Should I or Shouldn't I?

This is the footnote:

“Awake! does not recommend any particular kind of medical treatment.”

Have at it guys and gals. Words escape me when it comes to describing my disgust at this lie.

• ChristFollower
    ChristFollower

Looks like their legal team proof-read the article and added their legal disclaimer. It is amusing that the WT in general is now making all of its ethical decisions based on the legal recommendation of their attorneys - especially thier protection of child molesters depending on local laws. That's pretty sick. I thought they were supposed to be giving direction by the holy spirit. It would seem that legal team has become the holy spigot.

It is typical of their schizophrenic logic to say they don't recommend medical treatment, and then disfellowship you if you don't follow their "recommended" medical treatment when it involves blood.

• ChristianObserver
    ChristianObserver

Hello!

I am not familiar with what is and is not included in copies of Awake, but in reasearching the blood doctrine and discovering the 'selective editing' of a newspaper article in the 22nd February edition, if this article is representative of their general reporting, the word 'tendentious' springs to mind!

This is the site's description of the magazine:

'The international newsmagazine Awake!, published by Jehovah's Witnesses, frequently features articles on health and medicine. While Awake! does not dispense medical advice or endorse specific treatments, it does offer up-to-date, accurate information on many health issues. Because it is published in 83 languages with a circulation of more than 19 million copies, Awake! often reaches readers who otherwise have limited access to health care or health education.'

Now that's scary stuff!

"Awake! does not recommend any particular kind of medical treatment"

Does anyone have any Awake articles which do in fact 'recommend' particular kinds of medical treatment - blood treatment in particular in mind here?

Or are the articles about the blood doctrine published elsewhere?

I'm aware of the blood brochure and I heartily endorse the statement: 'You owe it to yourself to get the facts in order to make an informed choice about blood' which appeared in the brochure last year.

But how effective would that information be when placed beside the weight of material appearing in the society's publications including the following statement in the blood brochure: "Each year thousands die as a result of transfusions; multitudes more get very sick and face long-term consequences. So, even from a physical standpoint, there is wisdom right now in heeding the Biblical command to 'abstain from blood.'—Acts 15:28, 29."?

There's not a statistic or medical report to back up these statements, but being put forward by the organisation who stands as 'mother' giving meat in due season, how many members would question this information?

Interesting use of the words 'right now' though I thought! It would appear to open the possibility of future change.....or am I just an optimist?

• Francois
    Francois

Wasn't that crap about how aluminum pots and pans were going to kill every last man, woman, and child who ate stuff cooked in them published in the Awake?

And how 'bout that business about how vaccines were made out of monkey pus or something of the sort? Awake.

Taken altogether, if the advice contained in the Awakes over the years were to be put in actual practice, medical science would be set back two hundred years at least and the life span of humans would drop to about 45 again.

Everlasting life? Those bastards at HQ can't handle the ins and outs of 75 or 80 years.

Francois

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Yes, the stuff about aluminum and vaccinations was published in “Awake!” or more likely “Consolation” its predecessor.

• KistByQpid
    KistByQpid

"Daily asprin...Should I or shouldn't I?" HOLY OVER THE COUNTER BATMAN!!! You mean to tell me someone would seriously ask the powers that be at "Awake" for this type of advise??? Do JW's not see the total absurdity of such a question? I just don't get it.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Greetings Kist,

You said: “You mean to tell me someone would seriously ask the powers that be at "Awake" for this type of advise???”

Oh, by all means. Many JWs, especially the old-timers, think that Brooklyn has the inside track on almost all subjects. “Awake” has published articles on all sorts of medical issues. Its has, for example, written about various medical disciplines such as Osteopathy, Homeopathy, Chiropractic, Medical, Chinese Medicine, Herbal medicine, etc.

Its warnings against aluminum are legendary as are its warnings against vaccination and blood.

I understand that many years ago it warned against the use of aspirin. For the past 20 years physicians have been prescribing daily low-dose aspirin for a certain patient population with good results, so I suppose Awake thought it ought to update its stance on aspirin knowing that most JWs were not around when they condemned it.

Others can tell you more about the special wheat and other remedies unique to the JWs.

• Seeker
    Seeker

Are we forgetting our legalese? Awake "does" not recommend, because they stopped that habit. Oh sure, they "did", but "does"? Nope, no sir.

As for blood, they are careful not to tell a Witness that they cannot take blood, but that if they choose (on their own) to do something that a true Christian wouldn't do, they would thereby be showing (by their own free will action) that they no longer want (it's their choice) to be a JW any more.

Legalese.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Hello Seeker,

You said: “Are we forgetting our legalese?”

That is exactly the point. Technically they are not giving medical advice; but they put their toe right up to the line. Their lawyers make sure that they do not cross the legal line. The boys in writing want to cross over the line; the legal guys want them to stay well away, so the result is an inching up as close as possible without crossing the line. That footnote was screaming “legal department notation.”

The precedent is set these days with blood. They do not say “do not take blood.” But, everyone knows that “witnesses do not take blood.” Thus, other “suggestions” are taken as “understood law.” Such famous phrases as “how is the faithful slave leaning” tell the perceptive JW that certain unwritten law should be obeyed if one wants to “set the right example” and not appear weak.

Technically, there are no recommendations in “Awake!” as you suggest, Seeker. Reality, however, is another mater. There is no real individual freedom among JWs; “suggestions” are plentiful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit