Lamenting All the Sparlock MIssed Out On Growing Up JW

by TMS 2 Replies latest jw friends

• TMS
    TMS

There are too many individual activities to enumerate, but all of the extra-curricular, bad-association oriented activity that taught life skills, people skills and survival skills are symbolized by Sparlock. Scouting, ballroom dancing, exchanging Valentines, sports, chess, clubs and school politics are just a few.

Academic achievement is another. JWism undermines that, to be sure.

Money management.

Choosing a life partner from the large pool, not the tiny, restricted entrance pool. Getting to know that person before committing.

Enjoying life's pleasures without guilt.

Just a few of the Sparlocks missed.

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

So true... I was thinking about that earlier today, as well.

• St George of England
    St George of England

The WTS stole my childhood. Instead of the usual things kids did in the 1950's I spent over 5 hours each week sitting still and quiet at meetings until I was old enough to participate. My weekends were spent trudging from door to door selling WT & Awake magazines etc. My summer holidays were spent sitting for 7 or 8 days at Wembley or Twickenham listening to mind numbing boring talks on how soon Armageddon would come and destroy everyone but JWs.

The WTS stole my adolescence. Instead of the usual things kids did in the 1960's, I did exactly the same as I had done since birth. I wasn't allowed to date until 'ready for marriage'. I couldn't mix with worldly friends, not that I had many. Masturbation was a guilt trip due to hearing the dangers of it on a regular basis.

Now my wife wonders why I am so bitter!

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit