The Watchtower Study ("meat of the word)?

by stevieb1 5 Replies latest jw friends

• stevieb1
    stevieb1

I have laboriously sat through so many Watchtower Studies in my local Kingdom Hall so I thought I would share my experience of what supposed to be the "main spiritual meal of the week for JW's". As a formerly active JW I would disect all the scriptures quoted to really discern the meat of the word using a huge variety of commentaries that I have in my library. My heart rejoiced when I came across all the spiritual gems and I used to look forward to bringing my comments out at the study (this applies to the Book Study as well).

It seems though that the Watchtower has a "keep it brief and keep it simple" policy that it expects WT conductors and book study overseers to follow. In my congregation the most "acceptable" answers were basically someones rendition of what was already in the paragraph but put in their own words and maybe the odd scripture being read. The children of the congregation seemed to be given more opportunity to give their three word answers from the paragraph than the adults were. It seemed to me like a glorified nursery school. On many occasions my well-researched comments (I tried to get to the meat of the word) were criticized as being inappropriate and some in the congregation (probably the conductor) found them intimidating. JW's think of themselves as being true Bible scholars but listening to some of their comments it seems they are really still stuck with the milk of the word. Many of them don't even prepare the WT or even like to study. I never really learned anything from those WT/Book Studies as you can imagine.

Just asking if any of you have had the same experiences as these "studies"?

• ItsJustMe
    ItsJustMe

It must be another issue that varies from hall to hall...my experience has always been that well-researched comments are appreciated and encouraged.

-----------------------

• metatron
    metatron

Depth , generally, left years ago. Pick any WT bound volume
    from the 60's at random and note the contrast.

It's just superficial cheerleading now. Usually the Watchtower
    doesn't bother offering any rationale for their beliefs, they
    just assert that they are true and act as if no proof is necessary.

which for most Witless zombies is good enough.

metatron

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Stevieb, it's Just Me..

I agree entirely with Metatron. The deterioration in the overall quality of the content of the Watchtower, almost imperceptible when taken in isssue-to-issue doses, is quite stark when you do as he suggests; i.e. compare an old bound volume from the sixties to what's being published today.

It's Me, the study conductor may well appreciate a thoughtful well-reasoned answer, but how many times is it forthcoming? Rarely, in my experience. I the local congregation, it's gotten to the point where even a totally orginal comment in the respondent's own words is rare.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I find that from one Watchtower to the next the theme is much the same. Be good, listen to the society, don't question anything etc. Not many deep articles on bible prophecies etc. The same with the public talks. What has happened to the talks that go into independent research of the subject material. They are all just all outlined, no brainier talks that appease to the shallow minds of the lowly educated cult mentality.

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

When I got married in 1992, I switched to my wife's congo. At my previous one, I was used to people using the Insight volumes and other reference material in their answers at the WT study. When I went to her Hall, we were actually counseled against using anything in our answers but what was found in the study article.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit