Wills. Some advise

by Zordino 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Zordino
    Zordino

My parents are now reaching their 80's and have a substantial portfolio. Although I've never actually seen their Will, they've mentioned that they may be leaving quite a large sum (roughly 25%) of their estate to the Watchtower Corp. My questions are

A. Once the money is sent, if requested back by one of the children is there any way to get the money back from the Corp?

B. I've heard that when member's are on their death bed, they are visited by the BOE or 2 Elders and are instructed to do the usual prayers and encouragement and ask (among other things) if the dying persons "financial affairs are in order" and/or if they would like to leave something to the WT. Is this true or just a myth?

I hate to think of this stuff but my parents are very gullible (always have been) but it irritates me to no end that they are sending years of hard earned money to a real estate and publishing Corporation. Frankly, it pisses me off to no end! If they took the money and bought a home for abused teens or helped those in need or something, I wouldn't mind at all! But this is nonsense.

I would really appreciate some advise.

Thanks, Zordino

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

one answer. Living trust. A will is just a set of instructions for whomever is appointed as a trustee.

Be aware of the fact that courts are very determined to fullfil the final wishes of those who have passed on. Going into court and trying to get the money back will only convince the court that u are a money hungry individual and will likely deny your request. BTW, if u say they weren't of their right mind when they created this trust, it will aplly to ALL their wishes, includung what they leave u.

I hate to see the WT get more money, but it is your parents money to do whatever they please

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My advice is predictable. See a trusts and estates lawyer. Trusts and estates is the largest area of malpractice by far. I would never touch it without a graduate law degree and the latest tax code developments. It is complex.

The testator's wishes are given the highest priority. If some technicality occurs that makes carrying out the wishes impossible, a court will try to find a way of reforming it so that the testator's wishes are still carried out. My favorite beef is humans who leave millions to cats and dogs. People have left vast sums for the care of their pets-in the tens of millions of dollars. Human relatives, meanwhile, often have no resources and are near starving. If you don't like your relatives, there are charities.Rex and Zeus never know how much their owner valued them.

I do not have the expertise needed. It seems that conversing with your parents is the only way to go. Of course, if they are incompetent or unable to understand their actions, you can question that.

Legal advice is different from legal information. There may be factual reasons in your particular case why the Law for Dummies book rule does not apply. Frankly, I would not see a general lawyer.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Be aware that an irrevocable trust or living trust means if you are getting anything and you try to fight it you automatically lose your share and it's over to the remaining parties.

So if you try to fight they may get more, or all, of it.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

Why you don't speak directly to your parents to make some short of a will and give you a copy? And then keep your eyes opened that no elder approaches them when in hospital and stays with them while you are absent.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Essentially your parents are allowed to leave what they want to whom they please.

Just be grateful they're not giving 100% to the WTS.

• AGuest
    AGuest

This is not legal advice, dear Z (peace to you!) but if your parents have capacity (a legal term) they can pretty much do what they want with their assets if they put such in writing (if not, then a probate court will decide). You may be able to contest such writing, but that usually puts you in line to receive absolutely nothing (many writings actually contain a clause to that effect).

Although the Law required a parent to "store" up for their children leeches like the WTBTS are aplenty; indeed, they were identified by my Lord (Matthew 23:14).

If you are truly concerned, consult an attorney if you want to go that route (keep in mind, your parents might be offended). But for your own peace of mind, you might want to consider that it's just mammon. I mean, so long as they give you what they want you to have... it is their's after all... do you really want to risk tainting their golden years with such a concern?

Just some things to think about...

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• Zordino
    Zordino

Thankyou all for your advise. My parents are very much indoctrinated so I think its probably best that I Leave it alone. It just sicken's me to see people leaving large sums of money to a destructive Cult! Its sad really. There are so many ways to help your fellow man if a person wants to give and giving to the WT Corp is not one of them!

Peace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit