WT Easter Eggs: Hidden Messages in WT Publications

by 00DAD 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• 00DAD
    00DAD

No I'm not talking about the Easter Eggs JWs don't look for in early spring. I'm talking about the kind of Easter Eggs that are an intentional hidden message, in-joke, or feature in a work such as a computer program, web page, video game, movie, book, or crossword.

Cedars started a recent video on this concept over the recent Sparlock/Caleb video:

The new kids DVD - was it deliberate? What are we missing?

I've actually been thinking about this for a while. It's really beginning to seem that there are so many truly whacky, oddball things in recent JW literature that it's getting hard to believe that SOMEONE is NOT intentionally putting them in there. It's like a filter to see who is smart-enough or strong-enough to see through the shit they teach and call it for what it is. Those that swallow it down whole are of course perfect little JW droids.

Here's my short list of WT Easter Eggs presented in no particular order:

• Sparlock, the Warrior Wizard
    • Selma & Steve
    • The FDS:
      • The GB admits they have no idea who the anointed are. - Question From Readers, w2011 8/15 p. 22
      • Anointed Partakers Growth since 2005 contradiction with posted expectation:
        • "Over the years the number of those who are truly anointed has been getting smaller." - w2000 1/15, p. 13
    • Overlapping Generation doctrine
    • Subliminal messages in WT illustrations
    • add your favorite here

If you gotta' ask about any of these topics then you're not keeping up!

• compound complex
  • compound complex
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The Awake! Comment that 'no one should be made to choose between their family and their religion' or words to that effect was pretty blatant and should come under this category.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

COC, didn't know about those threads. I'll give 'em a look.

SBF, yes, agreed. Don't know how I missed that. It was published a couple of months after I was DF. Since then I've only talked to my oldest son once as he's doing his best to be an obedient little JW.

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

00dad: You seem to have a valid point here. It's almost like they are testing to see who notices the discrepancies. It has to be a gauge to see who are deaf, dumb, and blind, and those who pick up on all the B.S. they are spewing. That will decide how they will proceed with more brainwashing techniques.

Kojack

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

I don't see any direct plot in most of this. They just don't care about contradictions and anyway they work well in mind control. The bible itself is riddled with contradictions. So much so, I believe that each scripture has it's equal and opposite text. Often the contradictory texts are just a verse or two appart.

• james_woods
    james_woods

It is a very interesting idea - that is, the notion that someone could have done this deliberately. Either as a prank, or perhaps even in open defiance.

However, experience has taught me that the simplest explanation is usually the best one.

I think that the people running and writing for this organization REALLY ARE THIS STUPID.

They probably thought this was a good idea - probably STILL think it was a good idea.

As a further example, remember - somebody talked them into joining the UN as an NGO and writing pro NGO stuff in the Awake on the notion that it would help them in third world countries. This was by all accounts not done out of subversion - it was done because they (incredibly) thought that it was a good idea - in complete disregard for their traditional teachings on the evil of the UN.

Sometimes we ex JWs forget how monumentally stupid they can really be.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

My favorite was the may of 07 KM where they say Dubs should NOT study the bible on their own or meet in small groups to go over the WT lesson?!?

• stapler99
    stapler99

I have searched for it and haven't found it, but in a Watchtower or Awake in the last year or so, there was an article which suggested a more sensible interpretation of a scripture about "stretching out the firmament" - that it was like erecting a tent, suggesting that the sky was a solid surface. It was hinting that the Bible wasn't that scientifically accurate after all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit