Judge Orders Transfusion for Jehovah's Witness Girl with Cancer

by ZeusRocks 5 Replies latest social current

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

Here's a link to the story from last night.

http://www.news.com.au/national/judge-forces-jehovahs-witness-parents-to-allow-transfusions-for-daughter-with-cancer/story-e6frfkvr-1226380955006

I'm so glad I never needed one as a child. Even as an adult I still believed everything taught, but I think if faced with an early death, I would have caved and had a transfusion if it was deemed necessary for my survival.
    I think even though the parents of this girl gave the standard JW response when questioned, I can't help but think they must feel at the very least, a little relieved that the decision is now out of their hands.

• cofty
    cofty

Good to see intelligent use of the law in Australia. Same applies here in the UK, a doctor will never comply with a parents objection to blood. He/she can get a "ward of court order" very quickly and give blood if they deem it necessary.

• clarity
    clarity

Quote from link=

"Neither (the father) nor his wife and the wider Jehovah's Witness church would treat (the girl) any differently if the court orders she have the blood transfusion"

<

Strange, isn't it ........ under guidance of the GB, jw's will let others take the brunt & responsibility of standing up for the childs best interest, while they haven't got the guts to make that decision ... no matter what...come hell or high water!!!!

Gee, I guess the GB could take a chance that they are dead wrong.... take a chance and save lives if it does come down to blood!

>

Then they have the nerve to say "Oh well we won't treat her bad if she is given the blood!! " (by someone else sticking their neck out!)

This cult is blood guilty.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Great news because this little girl is given a chance at life...a few years from now she may even thank the judge that ordered the blood transfusion! A few months ago I read a news article that was linked to one post from this site where an ex JW seeked out the lawyer that petition the court on her behalf when she was just a baby in need of medical treatment her JW parents would authorize. Some 30 years after the fact she was able to express her gratitude to the lawyer who cared enough to save her life...

A few years ago a WT lawyer gave a public talk in our congregation, relating the heroic display of faith of Bethany Hughes, a teenager who refused blood transfusion on religious grounds...we even heard a recorded interview of Bethany. Today I sympathize with her father who left the faith and desperately attempted to withdraw his daughter from the grip of the WT cult to save her life. But he had no chance because the mother and very present WT lawyer made sure she wouldn't disapoint them....and Jehovah of course....

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

That was good story of that woman who thanked the lawyer that stepped in to save her life.
    I know the legal systems in different parts of the world have faults, but it is great that we have them.
    It gives people who really care about the wellbeing of others an avenue in which to be able to override the authority of parents in the treatment of children, especially when their beliefs could kill them.

I have to say it always tickles me when I read a news article where a judge has ordered treatment for a JW child despite objections from the parents because of their beliefs about blood.

• smiddy
    smiddy

This was a good outcome, it leaves the parents of the hook, and possibly saves the life of the child.The ironic thing about it is, in a few years time,maybe the mother and father of this child will no longer be "Jehovah`s Witnesses" and have guilt feelings of having taken this stand,had not the court been involved and she died.

It reminds me of an experience in the 60`s in Victoria Aust.,a very public "blood transfusion" case was aired in the media,a few years later the father of the child was disfellowshipped and the marriage broke up .I don`t have any idea about the mothers status.

Though, with the very high turnover of JW`s leaving the religion it is a very problematic decision to make on behalf of ones child in such a life and death situation.

Food for thought : The WTB&TS has made very significant adjustments to their" no blood policy" since 1945 ,.

One day the organization will be held accountable to the thousands of souls who have left this earth prematurely because of their contradictory ever changing man made interpretations of scriptures taken out of context by a few old men in charge of this religion

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit