Does anyone know who Ray Franz wrote this letter to? The date?

by Wonderment 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

The letter (copy below) was submitted by Pixies on 8/13/2006 on page 2 of link below:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/118479/2/A-Fair-View-of-Fred-Franz-Translation-Abilities

Here is some further observations by Ray Franz in response to a question regarding his uncle FW Franz-s translating abilities:

"... Fred Franz studied Greek for two years at the University of Cincinnati, with high marks, and continued his studies personally thereafter. One need only read the critical notes accompanying the New World Translation to see the extent of his knowledge of Biblical Greek and its grammar. He was self-taught in Hebrew. However, knowing him personally I am satisfied that he was capable of developing a thorough knowledge of the language. He was unusually mentally disciplined. He taught himself Spanish, a language I spoke in Spanish-speaking countries for nearly 20 years. While in Brooklyn, I associated with a Spanish-speaking congregation that he attended. I heard his use of the language both there and, previously, in Spanish speaking countries. Whether in conversational expressions or in public talks that he gave in Spanish I did not once hear him make a single grammatical error. He similarly learned Portuguese and gave talks in that language. He knew German from his childhood (his father having been born in Germany).

On one occasion, while in Cincinnati, I took Fred Franz ( he himself did not drive) to a Hebrew museum which he knew contained a particular Biblical Hebrew manuscript that he wished to research. I stood alongside him while he read through the portions of the Hebrew text he wished to investigate. While working on the Watch Tower’s Bible dictionary Aid to Bible Understanding., on more than one occasion I had to seek out his assistance with reference to Hebrew renderings. He was always able to supply the needed information. In 1971, on a trip to Israel, we visited the Watch Tower’s branch office located in Haifa. A member of the staff there, Dalia Erez, a young Jewish woman, native to the country, did Hebrew translation of the organization’s publications. She spent part of one day discussing with Fred Franz certain translation problems she was experiencing and received his assistance and recommendations. She clearly found his knowledge of Hebrew solid.

His knowledge of Hebrew was not equal to his knowledge of Greek and he was not an advanced or notable Hebrew scholar but his knowledge was sufficient to produce a creditable translation.

Sincerely,

Ray. (end quote) He seems generally miffed that so many people (usually dubious Evangelicals) incorrectly use his footnote in his book to state FW Franz had zero knowledge of Greek, or that he was wholly incapable of makng a translation.

• Mr Facts
    Mr Facts

bump

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Ray Franz's statement about Fred Franz is referenced here:

http://www.letusreason.org/JW39.htm

According to Raymond Franz, only Fred Franz had "sufficient knowledge of the Bible languages to attempt translation of this kind. He had studied Greek for two years in the University of Cincinnati but was only self taught In Hebrew." Raymond Franz, Crisis of Conscience (Atlanta: Commentary Press, 1983), 50

The above quote can be found right after the first citation of the Walsh trial transcripts. In the second citaton of the trial transcript, Fred couldn't read the OT in Hebrew.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

jamiebowers:

Excuse me, but I could not find the above letter in that link. What I did find was a heavy distortion of facts, and outright lies. That is not a reliable site at all.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

jamiebowers:

Excuse me, but I could not find the above letter in that link. What I did find was a heavy distortion of facts, and outright lies. That is not a reliable site at all.

No, but if you look in COC, which was quoted in my post, you may find the answer there. I don't know. I just Googled and found that page, because no one else responded to you.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Thanks jamiebowers!

I appreciate your effort and response. God bless you brother!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

You're welcome, but I'm female.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Oops!

Thank you SISTER!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit