World Religion 101 Online

by Smoldering Wick 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

Many of us who were Raised As Witnesses did not have the opportunity to go to college OR study World Religion from an unbiased viewpoint. Darren Witwer, a Teacher from Minneapolis Community & Technical College has taken the time to publish his World Religion class Syllabus and informative links online. I cannot critique this information as I have no background in religious studies to compare it to. However, I do feel it is a good start in becoming exposed to various religions.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Wick

World Religions
    Class description:
    This course is a survey of major religious traditions of the East and West, including Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, and a variety of emerging religions, especially those whose presence is seen in the Twin Cities area such as Wicca and New Age. The approach is historical and comparative, as well as practical. Students will be expected to learn and apply the various ethical perspectives of these religions to a variety of moral problems so as to understand the diversity of perspectives and political conflicts motivated by religious differences. Readings include primary texts from the religious traditions, as well as secondary commentaries by the textbook authors.

Religion comes in many forms. In this course you will study and demonstrate your knowledge of a variety of common religions, and how these religions define the cultures within which they exist. My objectives are these:

Promote tolerance through deeper knowledge of other cultures. Knowledge of a culture requires knowledge of the dominant religion(s) in that culture. Ignorance breeds fear and resentment.

Understand and apply the ethical and aesthetic values of the religions studied to address important ethical and philosophical questions.

Examine the writings and art that arise from these religions in order to understand how they are a product of that culture and that religion.

Provide the opportunity for you to research in depth a religion other than your own.

Categorizing & Describing Religions
    http://www.mctc.mnscu.edu/~witwerda.faculty/religions/taxonomy.htm

Religion on the Internet:
    http://www.mctc.mnscu.edu/~witwerda.faculty/religions/links/index.htm

Religious Links Page:
    http://www.mctc.mnscu.edu/~witwerda.faculty/religions/links/gen_links.htm

• Carmel
    Carmel

SW,

Thanks for the references. Personally, I tend to judge an analysis of religion by how well the author treats or defines my own faith. In this case, I found very quickly that his understanding of my religion is quite shallow and his attempt to force a point detracts from his otherwise helpful analysis. I'd be really interested to hear from any Hindus or Buddhists as to how they felt their belief system was reflected.

I will continue to peruse his course anyway as it is interesting.

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit