An assignment post in my Intro to Humanities Class

by Momma-Tossed-Me 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

The “nature of man” is a statement that should be referenced more in our public and private conversations for it relates to every interaction with other creatures on this planet. Humans that understand the concept typically find more peace in this life than those who do not. Understanding why people act the way they do will make dealing with others easier for it limits our emotional reaction to certain events. For example, in Saki’s “The Blood-feud of Toad-Water: a West-country Epic” we find that two families at odds for minimal ethical reasons would rather feud than see the human emotion that is fueling this fight. Björnson’s short story “The Father” , displays another aspect of man’s nature, pride. As noble as this man’s pride was regarding his son, it manifests itself like the proverb says, before a fall. The father was sure that he would not need the services of the church anymore after his son was to be married. Yet, the comfort of a man of the cloth was all that would do in his life after morning the tragic loss of his beloved son. Frost’s poem “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” displayed covetousness. Admiring the woods that someone else owns, this character continues his work belabored by the fact that it is far from done. Tennyson’s poem “Mariana,” blind allegiance to love will distort reality and leave many people depressed and wanting what will never come.

All of these stories use beautiful words and combinations that give the works texture. These wonderful under used words also give hints and details to the intended meanings the author wanted the audience to know. A poem usually gives a rather average story another dimension so the work is appreciated more by the literary public which is what some of the authors above took advantage of. Sometimes the different literary forms used in conceiving these works helps the audience to relate.

My experience within a high control group relates to the pride aspect of the story “The Father.” From the top down each member has an air of arrogance when it comes to those who are not part of the organization. They are far more enlightened religiously than the balance of humankind thereby making them special. Pride certainly comes before a fall, and as is common with humans I look forward to the train wreck that will ensue when it does come crashing down. That is not the proper ethical and moral way to view it, but I too am a human prone to “the nature of man.”

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The nature of man is a topic addressed by so many civilizations, ancient and modern. I believe the classics are not the result of excellent writing skills so much as universal themes that every generation confronts. Shakespeare addressed the nature of man in every play. Well, I don't know about his lesser works.

I am rereading the Young Adult books from my junior high school and high school days. It is a shame we seem to put them on a shelf. Jack London's Call of the Wild is more meaningful at my age than when I was in school. B/c of posts here, I am going to reread 1984 and Animal Farm. I also want to read some decent translations of Greek literature.

If anyone knows good translations, I would appreciate a referral. Fagles translations of Homer were so much more meaningful to me than others' work. Camus and Sartre are great examples of more recent literature.

Waiting for Godot is a favorite of mine. I love reading it b/c I can skim parts of it. It would drive me out of my mind to see a stage production.

I am glad you find the Humanities so compelling. Too many students seem to skip the traditional Humanities courses to load up on more job oriented courses. College is not the KH, is it?

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

Godot moved me and spoke to my life in the borg.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Well, I don't know about his lesser works.

A "lesser work" by Shakespeare is better than "better work" by most authors.

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

"...well taste your legs and come on in."
    Shakespeare always had a way with words that even people in his day had to think twice about.
    MTM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit