Some "Informal Preaching" with my Par...

by mindfield 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• mindfield
    mindfield

Hi everyone...

As some read in my "An Update on my situation" post, I'm trying to gradually leak some small truths to my parents... the key word being gradually.

So, a few hours ago, we received a phone call from a "brother" in the cong... He was excited about something. My dad took the call, and started asking something about ABC (the tv channel). Apparently something was going on. So my parents flipped to the channel, and, wouldn't you know it, they were talking about some Church's sex scandal. I don't know why this "brother" found this news bit so interesting, as much worse is going on right now, but I think he thought it would soon talk about the "witnesses". Why he thought that... well, I think we can come up with a few ideas...

So my parents started mentioning stuff about persecution and the JW's. As some know, I'm pretty annoyed when they spurt lies like that in the household or anywhere else, since I know a little about what's really going on. So, ignoring the small voice in my head that warned me to shut up, I said, "The news have being going on about sexual scandals about several churches. The JW's aren't the first. This isn't some kind of specific persecution." (pause) "They're just uncovering pedophiliacs here and there."

Well, it didn't go as bad as I thought. I was able to say this without getting too angry (which is what I usually do when I reveal the real truth) and my parents didn't fuss about it. They accepted it. Now, whether they truly understand what I said is another matter. But that they understand that persecution isn't everywhere they look is a good start.

I hope that I can continue on like this for a while... if they talk about their purity vs the churches and pedophiliacs, I'll leak another tidbit. They're NO BETTER!!! Well, I'll try saying it in a calm, matter-of-factly voice. I don't think they'll ask for more details, but maybe they'll think a little about it.

So, thanks for listening! I always look forward to moments like these that i can share with you guys... makes me feel less alone.

• Kep
    Kep

Good on ya mindfield.

Yeah, little snippets here and there sounds like the best way.

I know that this is my approach with my family as well.

Sowing those little seeds can do wonders if left to grow.

Keep it up I hope there's some fruitage to your labour.

Kep

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Hi mf,
    I think that you are handling the situation very well. Be patient with your parents. I'm guessing that the longer that you stay consistant in your beliefs, the more credibility you will have. It may take years, but bit by bit, perhaps some of the things you say will at least modify their beliefs.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • mindfield
    mindfield

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Appreciate it enormously!

• larc
    larc

Mindfield,

I think you hit the key, staying calm. I know it is hard to do. Sometimes, I read something here and I want to call my sister and just yell it at her, but, of course, that is the worse thing I could do. I also know she can only handle tiny bites of information.

Best of luck to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit