1975 failed prediction?

by Garrett 84 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Splash your post brings back a lot of memories. LOL now.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think the majority of the propagating hype by the WTS used under F Franz and N Knorr to create 1975 was related to the superficial date of 1914 and the noted time frame from that year so what did they do ? they conjured up an old dating scheme used 60 years before by the previous directors of the WTS, conning people with a profusion of provocations of fear and anxiety.

More or less they were in a win win situation because they preconceived what they were doing was only going to allure and heighten more people and attention to the literature they produced.

A few years after 1975 they came out without much apology saying that there has been some in the organization that went ahead of their expectations. ......thats it !

Indirectly its called religious freedom in America.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

SimonSays

But just like everything else, those JW’s that were new or didn’t understand the premise took 1975 to mean the fulfillment of Christ presence and overstepped their expectations,

I remember in 1975 the field service overseer saying on a Thursday night meeting that we only have months left. in another congregation some years earlier according to my father who attended a elder meeting where the presiding overseer expressed concern that some were not expecting the end by 75. These were not new JW's they were appointed by holy spirit as older men in a spiritual way.

Admittedly you do get some with maybe shall I say 'apostate' leanings who do not accept the spiritual food from the faithful slave,.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

I remember in 1975 the field service overseer saying on a Thursday night meeting that we only have months left.

I remember that too. I am sure it was a different congregation but the hype was the same.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS has had a history of over sensationalizing dates going right back to the late 1800's.

This has come out of more emotional theory than accurate bible backed theological knowledge or outside secular knowledge.

The second Advent of Christ was a major held to doctrine from the founding orchestrators of the WTS. namely C T Russell and progressed all throughout the 20the century.

It has to be acknowledged that this core doctrine helped in proliferating millions of pieces of literature the WTS published over the years and they are arrogantly quite proud of that fact to be realized.

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

Research the Watchtower March 15, 1980 pages 17-18 U.S. version

Yearbook 1980 pages 30-31 U.S. version. As well as what was written in the Watchtower in 1976.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

@SimonSays, How old are you? If you are less than 60 you are not old enough to have experienced the climate of the time between 1968 and 1975.

I AM old enough to remember vividly. If what you say is true, that it was overzealous individuals reading between the lines, who wrote the lines? Who fostered the attitude? Who appointed the elders, COs, DOs who whipped up the frenzy? Who commended (in writing) those who sold all their possessions to pioneer for the "remaining months"? Who selected the speakers and wrote the outlines and manuscripts for the assemblies and conventions where it was repeatedly stated that the millennium reign of Christ HAD to be included in the 7th day of Jah's rest "day" that they stated as fact is 7,000 years long?

They stated as fact that 6,000 years of mankind's existence ended in 1975, therefore the "Great Tribulation" would occur on or BEFORE 1975 to make the entire time period EXACTLY 7,000 years long.

Late in 1973 my contractor husband built a modest 2 bedroom house for us. The elders took him in the back room and disqualified him from being a MS solely on that basis. Although it took only 4 months to build "he was not living with a view to the END".

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    5 minutes ago

SimonSays

Research the Watchtower March 15, 1980 pages 17-18 U.S. version

I have the Watchtower that you mention and it quotes the 1976 where it says

'...it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises." In saying "anyone", the Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah's Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.'

I don't have the yearbook at hand.

I don't think it had anything to do with 'but that his own understanding' I didn't come up with the 6000 years I wasn't alive in 1886 when it was tied to 1874 or in the 1940's when it was moved to the 1970. I understood they were appointed to do a job

My salvation was tied i understood to supporting Christ brothers, doing good to them, the primary way was supporting them in the preaching work. They were the appointed commissioned ones and at the time of this Watchtower they were still teaching that the generation that saw the events of 1914 would not pass away and my salvation was tied to spreading this as it was in the front of the Awake.

• Balaamsass2
  • Balaamsass2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit