1975 failed prediction?

by Garrett 84 Replies latest jw friends

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One thing that you can confirm is that people are gullible and naive as well ignorant about the bible and what it really says and the WTS has historically exploited that to its fullest.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

They will continue to deny the 1975 hoax, however as long as there are eye witnesses it will be tough to deny. The big thing in my day and this was said from the platform "stay alive till 75." Maybe they meant 2075. At our circuit assemblies we had a countdown of the months until the fall of 1975. This started about 5 years before 1975 and it disappeared in 1976. I was going to take a 2 year college course in 1968 and I was talked out of it by two elders because it showed a lack of faith and my education would not be needed in 7 years. That was almost a half of a century ago. Time flies when you are having a good time.

Sour Grapes

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Is the GB spirit directed? They answer "Yes"

When the GB release new light does it have the backing of the Holy Spirit? They will answer "Yes"

So who got the old light wrong? Jehoover/Holy Spirit or men?

If they answer Jehoover then he is a god of falsehood so bye bye.

If they answer men then the bible warns about following men...how can we then trust them that they have it right now and how can we obediently follow them 100% IF they get it wrong and Jehoover THEN corrects them with new light?

You can't have your cake and eat it...it's either Jehoover teaches us falsehood or the men are not directed by Holy Spirit...either way equates to having nothing to do with the JW's.

• cha ching
    cha ching

CalebinFloroda... Funny, I went to that Star Wars movie, and we loved it so much we all (the whole group that went) wondered, "Will the second come out before Armageddon?" I mean we really, really, really wanted Armageddon to 'hold off' so that we could see the next one!

• zeb
    zeb

I am thankful i had sufficient reserve not to get caught up in ...'75. There is a scripture which the wts has never quoted. "No man knows the hour nor the day..."

The75 fiasco was a cruel manipulation and further power play by the gb of ill-educated (!) jw masses. The biggest exponent of the 75 in my then cong later retired from work in serious ill health and had NO retirement insurance in place and like so many jw was then going door to door selling..... health products.

and since the org began what is this fascination with predicting the 'end'?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

cha ching, "I mean we really, really, really wanted Armageddon to 'hold off' so that we could see the next one!"

Did they wish for the brutal death of all the actors who entertained them?

• Splash
    Splash

2 Cor 13:1 On the testimony of two or three witnesses every matter must be established.

There are many more than two or three witnesses to the 1975 false hope. This should be enough to establish the truth of it.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The thing about the Society is that they are fruit cases. In 1925 they were beating the drums for the end time. I Kid you not here in their own words is one of my favorite quotes ............lord have mercy.

(Speaking about the resurrection after 1925 when there would be the start of the new world and no death....... the writer suggests the following in TWTP pg 228 on how to recruit decorators to redecorate the homes that would now be available.) “You will have secured the services of the best decorators you can find. Some of them used to be undertakers; but since there are no more people dying, they have to seek some new occupation. Their experience as undertakers prepared them to become decorators with very little difficulty.”

Brought to you by the 'heavies' at Bethel.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

TWTP

Is that supposed to be WT TP?

• prologos
    prologos

It was the wt's reps responsibility to correct any misunderstanding* about the ramification of the "the millenium will start in 1975" idea. they did not. Instead they pandered to the optimists, rode the wave, the groundswell that had developed for seeing the pandas so close. Shame on them.

*they are so quick to disfellowship any who read the wrong meaning into their bible interpretations, genealogies, types. yikes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit