1975 failed prediction?

by Garrett 84 Replies latest jw friends

• Splash
    Splash

"This generation"?

I've never heard anything so unexplainable or unreasonable as the 'latest truth' definition of "this generation".

It is so ridiculous and untenable that it will, for certain, be rewritten again.

Then again.

Then again.

The good thing about jw's is that they have so many different versions of 'truth', there's one for everybody.

• mrquik
    mrquik
    You can't push an unoccupied car down a hill into a crowd of innocent people & claim to have no responsibility. The GB are guilty of this and other terrible sins upon innocent people. They make the Scribes & Pharisees look like choir boys. I get some satisfaction believing that they will suffer the same fate. Live for today boys..........
  • Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Some witnesses took this to mean Armageddon

Not just "some", as later WTS attempts to whitewash the whole fiasco would have us believe (but which will never work on those of us who were there and experienced the whole debacle). Furthermore, the writers WTS literature carefully worded all references to 1975 make it clear that this was the conclusion they wanted their readers to reach:

- i.e. that it was a "probability" rather than a "possibility".

Even the 1980 WTS literature that you cite admits that the Watchtower writers fell for their own propaganda! And it was pity help any of the R&F in the congregations who in any way doubted that 1975 would see Armageddon - such JW swear words as "immature" or "worldly" would then feature prominently!

Some witnesses took this to mean Armageddon? More like some witnesses may have still had their doubts - but only some (and they were well advised to keep their mouths shut about it, too!)

Bill.

PS: Good luck in your attempts to rewrite history - you are going to need it!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

SimonSays in the quotes I put in my post from the book the Watchtower published in 1974 it said it Armageddon would be before the last thousand years of the 7000 year creative day and we had 6000 in 1975.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

In 1968 the belief was the tribulation had started in 1914 and had been cut short . The brother who brought my parents,in told them one day u will put the radio on and Armageddon will have started just like those roman armies that returned to Jerusalem in 70. So they were expecting a literal Armageddon which never came in there lifetme. Just like it didn't come in my great grandfathers day who lived at the time of Russel with his 1874

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Does anyone remember the Age of Aquarius, Flower Power, Peace Man, Love not War, I have a dream movement, then Vietnam.

I remember them all I lived through it, in Canada .I Watched American Vietnam Nam draft dodgers treated like scum..I personally think Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech will go down in North American history as one of the great speeches of the 20'th Century.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    You all have to remember. We as a country were, not that far removed from the WW2 experience.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The main point to all of the dates /years that the WTS came up with was they were successful marketing strategies for the publishing house in proliferating its literature..

The Watchtower is synonymous with American religious charlatanism.

That essentially is the truth about the truth.

• Alive!
    Alive!

I just noticed that I spoke of witnesses as being "Us".

I'm no longer part of the organisation.

But, I feel a collective shame for being part of that which was "us".

Does anyone else feel the same?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Giordano I Kid you not here in their own words is one of my favorite quotes ............lord have mercy.
    (Speaking about the resurrection after 1925 when there would be the start of the new world and no death....... the writer suggests the following in TWTP pg 228 on how to recruit decorators to redecorate the homes that would now be available.) “You will have secured the services of the best decorators you can find. Some of them used to be undertakers; but since there are no more people dying, they have to seek some new occupation. Their experience as undertakers prepared them to become decorators with very little difficulty.”

Thank you for that reminder of the vivid imaginations of Rutherford's. Here's one of my favourites.

Remember Joe Rutherford's startling prophecy:

Millions Now Living Will never Die.

Sadly, most of those who believed Joe's prophecy, have already faded away and turned to dust. So it is already a failed prophecy.

Statistically, it is estimated that in 2014 there were less than 320,000 people on earth who had achieved the age of 100. ( Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenarian ).

Here's how old Joe (himself dead) prophesied - and of course at many Public meetings on the topic - "Millions Now Living Will Never Die."

An extract from one of Joe's books.

Link: http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/millions/millions.html

Millions Now Living Will Never Die
    THE emphatic announcement that millions now living on earth will never die must seem presumptuous to many people; but when the evidence is carefully considered I believe that almost every fair mind will concede that the conclusion is a reasonable one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit