Who REALLY believed in the idea of living forever on earth??

by stuckinarut2 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There two pertinent reasons why people become JWs, one being they dont want to be killed at the soon to come Armageddon and secondly to a lesser extent live on in a earthly paradise.

There's more awareness in the imposing fear of not being killed and this acts as a fueling catalyst that the WTS uses to allure and control its followers through its constant active mental indoctrination.

• bemused
    bemused
    I was never a Witness, but the faith I grew up in (Catholicism) also had the living forever carrot. I guess I must have believed the doctrine as a child because I recall being worried that it might be a tad boring after a while (after say the first 500 million years or so).
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I never ever visualized experiencing it. I didn't long for it. I was not convinced of it intellectually.

I was the exact opposite of your statement Terry. I've read your life experiences as you've posted them over the years, you've overcome an awful lot!

I think this all shows how the traps that high control groups set can snare almost anyone - it has nothing to do with intelligence or stupidity.

Mike.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    COFTY: Yes. Why would anybody sit through a meeting or knock doors if they didn't actually believe it?

DITTO!
    I bought into it all.

Doc
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    I didn't buy into it all the way. The paradise pictures always seemed way too sappy for me. Everyone smiling too much, playing with pandas and tigers....nothing as it should be in nature. Why was it always spring? Why did everyone wear such ugly clothing? Where were the factories to make their ugly clothing and shoes and house parts? And who was working in those factories? Whoever was working in those factories wasn't playing with the pandas. I guess it was my skeptical nature but I never, ever visualized paradise like this. I asked my fiancé if it wasnt real to him either, has said no. So I did not knock on doors or anything I did for the paradise, but because I wanted to be a good daughter and not disappoint my parents. I figured if there was going to be a paradise, it was a lot more like life now than in the pictures. But never wanted to be ruled by these 'earthly princes'. What a nightmare, forever! To be under the control of elder types!!
  • whathehadas
    whathehadas

I look back on it. I don't think I ever truly believed. I was skeptical of the whole ideal of living FOREVER, since there is no measurement of infinity. A Neverending story would create problems for it's characters. What would a person want to accomplish after 300 million years? Better yet, What more could a person do and love doing for forever? For Jehovah, what would he have up his sleeve in that world? Would there be another test or rebellious angel?

Those were some of the questions that plagued my mind but I was too afraid to keep thinking about them or ask fellow JW. The stop-think tactic, "Wait on Jehovah" would always be the reply.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes.....Of course I believed it . It was taught by all the men that I respected, believed by all the people that surrounded me & only disbelieved by those poor blinded "fools" who were still in the clutches of "Satan's world"

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury
    This chump right here.
  • William Penwell
    William Penwell
    Well as a ten year old boy I believed in it just like a worldly person would believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny. Then when I grew up and 1975 failed predictions, I realized that it was just a fantasy. It took me years to get over that. It was a sick dream pushed by a bunch of pathetic old men on the GB that feared death. Myself and my family we were not supposed to grow old and die but hold hands and walk into that paradise together. I think my mother and father realized toward the end of their lives that this maybe all a dream but had to hold on to that knowing their days were numbered.
  • rip van winkle
    rip van winkle
    Yes, I believed it with all my heart.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit