Who REALLY believed in the idea of living forever on earth??

by stuckinarut2 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Seriously.....even when you were 100% in "the truth", did you REALLY believe in LIVING FOREVER??
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    An all powerful being who made the universe and all life can do anything, that's what I believed, until I stopped believing it. I don't mean to be rude but when people say they stayed in for decades and worked their ass off for something they didn't believe in, it baffles me.
  • adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge
    I did, but then I was six years old at the time of my indoctrination. I had a lot of questions for the Elders in regards to the above questions. I asked them will their be an angel assigned to every human to save us from accidents? There are so many ways to die and illness is just one of many. My child's mind couldn't understand how we wouldn't die from natural disasters, deadly microbes, and interstellar threats.
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Yes I did when I was a kid growing up. Then, when I was around 15 or 16 I decided I never wanted to live forever on this Earth if it meant having to live with ONLY JW's on the Earth led by the organization. They allowed horrible abuse to continue in my family at the hands of my elder father. When it got so bad, we HAD to leave, they didn't help us. It was "WORLDLY" people at the mental hospital we had to go to to get help and get away from him.

I told my mother I didn't want to be a witness anymore because I couldn't stand the thought of having to live forever with those people, and she said, "I know. I feel the same way, but there is nothing else out there for us." After that, I attempted suicide a couple of times when I was 16/17, and after that, I started to wake up and realize it was all a lie and there was no paradise Earth and they certainly were not God's special group of chosen people.

It wasn't until I was in my early 20s that I was able to completely let go of the lies I was taught about paradise and armageddon.

• kairos
    kairos

I must have believed it.

Can't even consider it anymore.
    It upsets me that so many have been lied to.

• B4Right
    B4Right

It's the " live forever puzzle" that makes it real. Ps 37:29 clinched it for me along with the live forever book! Plus John 3:16. Plus Jesus telling the evil doer you will be with me in paradise. So it's not so much the Society saying it- it's the bible proof text round- up that roped me in.

i never took the time to research Ps 37:29 to really get the "truth" behind its meaning and what the Hebrew words mean with the context.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

yes I believed it was the truth we could live forever in a paradise earth I also had faith that I would be living in the thousand year reign of Christ a long time ago as did my father.

I think my father shared the view expressed here in Man's Salvation Out of World Distress At Hand! (1975 WTB&TS Page 28/29) after quoting the apostle Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 15:18,19 and commenting that Paul the apostle had suffered much persecution for his preaching 'that if Paul were a liar, then as he wrote: ... "we are of all men most to be pitied." '

'After all that we have gone through since 1914, our generation would be, of all generations, the "most to be pitied"
    Think of it, though! Worthy ones of this generation of mankind will be saved alive out of the rest of this world distress so as to survive the worst of it and enter into God's Messianic new system of things and not need a resurrection from the dead to life here on earth!'

Unfortunately he will need a resurrection although he lived more than his three score year and ten and was born more than a decade later after the first world war. Hopefully the resurrection hope preached by the Apostle Paul is a better hope than the one my father had and taught me.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Yes I did as a convert 20 years old and being told what those scriptures used back then were supposed to mean .

Looking at those same scriptures today and they do not say anything of the sort..

I was gullible.

smiddy

• cofty
    cofty

Yes.

Why would anybody sit through a meeting or knock doors if they didn't actually believe it?

• Half banana
    Half banana

That was the lure: not dying. It was unrealistic, as was the idea of resurrecting masses of the dead. Yet I believed it.

It suddenly struck me... how could I live forever under the thumb of the WTBTS? It could not be paradise with these guys in the role of ‘princes’ forever breathing down your neck. That was the clincher for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit