Something to think about...

by Jack C. 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jack C.
    Jack C.

Has anyone ever seriously considered the possibility that the Bible could be misunderstood due to incorrectly interpriting which person (first, second or third) it is written in?

For example 'In the beginning the Elohim created the heavens and earth." (Third person)

'In the beginning We created the heavens and earth." (First Person)

Consider the example of Moses at the burning bush asking God for his name. Could the reply "I AM" refer to Moses himself? Alternate writing styles with varying usages of first, second or third persons as the primary subject have changed over the centuries.

It doesn't take much reading to discover that if this is indeed true that Christ = US. This can really make sense if you think about it.

Opinions?

Jack

• moshe
    moshe

When Jesus comes back, He can tell us why God inspired such a mess of verbiage, called the Holy Bible. All humans really needed is the condensed Cliff Notes version-

• OldGenerationDude
    OldGenerationDude

Cool "Cliff Notes" version, Moshe.

And while nothing against your searching for an interpretation, Jack C., but maybe you're looking a little too closely and need to take a few steps back.

If you found someone who was publishing absurdities about, I don't know, let's say the novel Gone With the Wind, and making presumptions and ludicrous statements about the book that you knew were not true, would you just pass on by? Well, most of us would.

But if the person making these claims starting hurting others by getting them to believe in his false statements and even damaging the reputation of this great classic by their ratings, then what? It’s just fiction, right? I mean, you might not even like Gone With the Wind, or reading books for that matter.

Now I'm not saying you are hurting others or are planning to intentionally mislead others like the Watchtower has over the years. Heavens, no! Just a word a caution, however.

The Bible has been around for thousands of years. Millions have people have not only read it, but many great minds, religious and secular, have studied its words, the history of its transmission, its language, etc. Even among secular academics there is a general consensus on how it is supposed to read (ever hear of the NRSV?). While not saying that someone can't discover something new, isn't it a bit of a stretch what you are suggesting? Not only in your translation and interpretation, but also claiming that after thousands of years and after a plethora of great minds through the ages have diligently applied themselves to the study of ancient language texts and the history of lanuages themselves (not only the Bible's, by the way), that suddenly they are all wrong, and that we ourselves or some little tiny group has discovered something that would change history (if only peple would wake up and see?! arrgh!) even in the face of academic facts about ancient language transmission that prove our conclusions incorrect?

I’m glad you are at least attempting to think out of the box, but you might do better at getting some direction from a trusted academic course when you start talking etymology.

Now the Bible may not be Gone With the Wind, but I wouldn't think a person wise who wanted to re-translate "Scarlet O' Hara" into "Scary O' Hairy" either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit