46,026,4026 or 3761 B.C.E.

by badboy 2 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

Its says in a NWT bible that Genesis started c.46,026 B.C.E. thereas the Jws had said 4,026 B.C.E. was the beginning of the World.

I read in the Times,Thursday FEBRUARY 28 2002, PAGE 41
    `Questions Answered' that the Jewish Calender begins on October 7,3761 BC``Creation of the Universe'

Which is right?

• Atreyu
    Atreyu

If you read "The Gentile Times Reconsidered" by Carl Olof Jonsson, you will se that there has been a whole range of jewish and christian speculations and "theories" about the dating of man's creation.

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

Badboy -

What edition of the NWT do you have - what is the date of the copyright? The WTS still teaches that Adam was created in 4026 BCE, and used to teach that each creative day was 7,000 years long. Six previous creative days x 7,000 years gives 42,000 years before 4026 BCE, or 46,026 BCE. However the WTS has been reluctant to bring out the 7000-year day idea since 1975, thus my edition question.

As far as 3761 BCE or similar dates - by similar I mean within a couple thousand years - this would be reasonable to anyone who prescribes to the 24-hour "day" in Genesis, including some conservative Christians. You would have to swing a lot of cats to find a Jew who honestly believes this date. Neither six thousand years ago nor 48 thousand years ago corresponds with scientific evident even for the beginning of the Earth, much less the Universe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit