National Teachers appreciation week

by lostinthought 3 Replies latest jw friends

• lostinthought
    lostinthought

I know that there were a few threads on Nures' week, but before this week ends, it's also national teachers week also! I respect all the nurses( I almost became one) but I found my true calling in education. It was my job that helped me "wake up" to the truth about the "truth"...It was working with children (and some adults) on a daily basis that helped me to see not all wordly people are bad.. say thank you to a teacher tomorrow!

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Yeah, it sure doesn't feel like National Teacher appreciation week. i can't watch TV without seeing some BS on teachers. 10,000 teachers laid off in LAUSD at the end of the semester. 10,000. Society is letting us know in no uncertain terms just how much they appreciate us. Money. No money. No jobs. What better way can you express to someone just how antagonistic you are towards them aside from taking away their money and taking away their jobs? OR passing legislation that "makes it easier to fire teachers." That just makes me feel warm and fuzzy when all my neighbors are trying to make it easier to get me fired. In my head, i stopped being a teacher a long time ago. It's just not worth it frankly. I would like to start legeslation that makes it easier to fire PARENTS. Now THAT would make more sense. I am moving on and moving OUT of the teaching profession just as soon as I can put a new plan together. Let someone else step in if they think they can do better.

• talesin
    talesin

I want to say a big 'THANK YOU' to all the teachers out there.

In honour of the two teachers who tried to rescue me, and were unable to, because back then they had no power to help .... and a tribute to all of you who do. So, to Mr. MacDonald, and Miss Spicer ,,,, I love you!

tal

• scotoma
    scotoma

Ms. Suga,

My lesbian 7th grade science teacher (1957):

Let me make a fool of myself trying to defend creationism.

Indulged my interest in rock collecting by hauling me to meetings of the local geological society. Once per month my parents allowed me to miss the tuesday book-study to attend that "worldly" meeting with my teacher.

Explained the night sky and constellations before dropping me off at home.

Took me out to find fossils at the local quarry.

Allowed me to do experiments in organic chemistry after school using the schools equipment. And didn't charge me for breaking expensive condensers and retorts.

Thought I was going to be a scientist.

Ended up a JW janitor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit