JWs...millennialism?

by lilbluekitty 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

Last night at church in doctrine class we were learning about eschatology among Christians and there are three main views about the end-times/Christ's millennial reign. I wondered if JWs are somewhat amillennial? From Wikipedia about amillennialism:

Amillennialism (Latin: a- "no" + millennialism) is a view in Christian end-times theology named for its rejection of the theory that Jesus Christ will have a thousand-year long, physical reign on the earth. This is in opposition to premillennial and some postmillennial interpretations of chapter 20

of the Book of Revelation.

In contrast, the amillennial view holds that the thousand years mentioned in Revelation 20 is a symbolic number, not a literal description; that the millennium has already begun and is identical with the current church age, (or more rarely, that it ended with the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 — see Preterism). Amillennialism holds that while Christ's reign during the millennium is spiritual in nature, at the end of the church age, Christ will return in final judgment and establish a permanent physical reign.

Which one are JWs, amillennial, pre- or post-millennial? To me they seem mostly amillennial in that they think practically everything in Revelation (and most of the Bible) is "symbolic."

• undercover
  • Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

Basically, pre-millennialism is the view that the second coming of Christ precedes the 1000 year reign. Post-millennialism, on the other hand isthe belief ingradual improvement and enlightenment of humanity which would lead to the millennium at the end of which the second coming could occur.

So, JWs are quite definitely pre-millennialist - definitely not amillenialist.

I'm not sure that post-millennialism continues in anything like the same form in which it become popular during the nineteenth century. It was associated with a lot of speculation about the place of America in divine providence. Many of the Puritan settlers believed that the society they were creating was God's new Israel and this view gained momentum with the formation of the Republic. This is the era which gave us the Battle Hymn ofthe Republic - Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

Rob Crompton http://snigsfoot.blogspot.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit